Ripping out bushes by the roots?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tsh1773, Mar 8, 2006.

1. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer who has 10 shrubs around his front porch. Some are boxwoods, others are hollys. He wants them removed and dwarf boxwoods planted. The only way I know to rip these bushes out it so wrap a chain around them and pull out with my 4 wheel drive Dodge. Has anyone tried this? If so did it work? Let me know what I'm up against or if I should even accept this job. Thanks.

2. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Use a root chisel, go around it and pull by hand.

Don't go "hookin' up my 4X4 an yee-haaa" unless you're in a "red" area with a "red" customer who might appreciate it.

3. tsh1773

Where am I suppose to get a root chisel from. Never heard of one.

4. tsh1773

Is that more commonly referred to as a shovel?

5. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

use a ax, pick, pointed shovel and some muscle!!!

6. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

There are times when wrap & yank are the only way to go. I did a removal recently (down South) where the 'planting bed' was less than 2 feet wide and was bounded by house and sidewalks all around. Oh yeah, the 'soil' was mostly shell rock - impossible to dig into. Completely filled in with leggy, woody, overgrown ligustrums. They had to go!!

More than anything, if you decide to wrap & yank, make sure you know where ALL services & utilities & underground piping are before you even consider wrapping a chain around a shrub or tree.

7. tsh1773

I called today to have the utilities marked. Some of these shrubs are bound by the porch and the sidewalk.

8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I really don't think you're going to have much of a problem with the removal. Boxwoods and hollies don't have extensive root systems like taxus, but it's still good to have the utilities marked. Hitting one of those can turn an easy job into a total nightmare.

9. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

chain them up and pull them out. its actually un-impressive. put it in 4 wheel low so you dont spin your tires and just yank em. saves time and your back. you can dig around them a little if you want. but i just yank them if i can get my truck next to them. or i dig them out with my machine if thats easy enough.

10. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Heck, if you're going to pull it out with a vehicle (not recommended) then your best bet would be to pull it out with a winch. That way you're not looking like some moron driving all over the customers lawn with a 4X4. Just try to remember perception is reality. IOW, take into consideration what your customers and their neighbors (as well as people passing by) will think.