Ripping Phone Books In Half

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, May 8, 2004.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Ive had my new JD HD45 out for a week now, it has pistol grips and I swear by the end of the season Im going to be able to rip a phone book in half from the workout its giving my hands. Either that or have arthritis in them. I do alot of side hills where you have to constantly have both hands working the handles. I have normal sized hands (I think) and I have to stretch my fingers to reach the hydro controls when at mowing speed. Is this normal? Can you adjust them so there is less travel in them? It took me an hour of "lefty loosey, righty tighty" to get the thing running in a straight line on its own. I bought its as a demo with 40 hours on it and they are still looking for the manual which would prob tell me all this.

2. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

"it has pistol grips"

That's the problem. I got fed up with pistol grips using an old Gravely walk behind. It seemed as if my wrist were being twisted in every way except how God created them to operate.

If you use a walk behind a lot on hills. You can not beat wrap around handles for comfort. If I look at a Walk behind and see pistol grips. I will leave it sitting even if someone is trying to give it to me.