1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ripping stuff out

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC, Mar 29, 2004.

1. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, I have a 15ft maple that a customer wants ripped out and replaced with a new one. It would have been taller, but it has been hacked down many times. The trunk diameter is like 9-10 inches. Do you guys think its possible to rip it out with a truck? (91' dodge ram 250) How big do you think the root system is? By the way the tree is still somewhat alive.
  2. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Your Dodge probably can't handle it, but my Chevy could. Just kidding. You could try. I would cut down all but about 4' of the trunk. Then wrap a chain around a couple of times and pull. If the ground is still wet it would be a good time to try.
  3. sgrprincees

sgrprincees LawnSite Member

I don't think you can pull it out. 10 inches is pretty wide, my thinking is that if it seems strong enough that you think you could winch off it if you were stuck in the mud, you won't rip it out just by pulling hard.
  4. JohnK

JohnK LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

I tried pulling an alder stump that size with my Suburban and couldn't do it, even in 4 low there just wasn't enough traction (285x75 AT tires) to budge it.

It wouldn't hurt to try pulling it, but I doubt you'll get it out with a pickup.
  5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

A) Dont use chains. You'll kill someone, use straps.
    2) Do you have 4 Wheel Drive? (more traction)
    C) You won't be able to to pull it out:) Just get a tree spade to come and get it.
  6. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Cut the tree down and grind the stump. No way you'll pull a 10" tree out with a truck.
  7. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

I pulled a 12- 15 ft white pine with the winch on my jeep the other day.....The winch pulled it clean out of the ground with no problems at all......8000lb ramsey rep...ill say the diameter was around 6 - 8 inches tho

8. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

No i dont have 4 wheel drive, but i was planning on using straps instead of chains. I would just grind down the stump, but he wants another maple right in its place. Thanks for the help so far. By the way, do rental places have tree spades? About how much are they to rent?
  9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

No way you're pulling a 10 inch Maple out of the ground. Not without looking like a redneck hillbilly and getting the rear-end of the truck off the ground. I doubt it would come out anyways.

Do it the right way. Cut it down, grind it out. Pulling stumps out of the ground with trucks is what makes this industry display it's "scrub" image.
  10. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

The only other way I would yank it other then cutting and grinding is bringing in a backhoe and digging around it and then hooking up a truck. That way you can cut off major roots. But by the time you do all that it would probly be cheaper to have someone just spade it out.