Risers

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by hoskm01, Sep 7, 2007.

1. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

A thought from another post...

So I have never built them this way, we always use step modules or the like, but, how do you build a riser with the same pavers you are using for the rest of the project? What holds them up, flat, etc...?

Humble Earth Mover, I stole one of your pictures for example purposes. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

You don't. There is block in there somewhere and they just faced it with pavers. I don't like the looks of that at all......

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed. Makes me feel better then... Thanks.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

The only time I see that done is if you are going over existing steps. Sort of the cheap way out. They get put on with mortar.

5. Humble Earth Mover

Humble Earth Mover LawnSite Member

I take no credit for that ugly piece of mess someone called a riser! They glued those pavers on a existing concrete stoop. It would've been better to create a landing off of the stoop with wall block or CMU block veneered and split that riser into two lifts.

Yeah, the only situation where this would be feasible is if you had existing concrete to stick the pavers to. I've seen it done where it looks okay, but not my cup of tea.

6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

It would have looked better wityh a tumbled paver, but no matter what pavers aren't meant for that application.

7. back_lash

back_lash LawnSite Member

I think it looks pretty good, I don't see how it looks cheap. I was planning on using a tumbled paver on my concrete stairs because between the last step and the landing, there is a 5 inch gap of white concrete that looks bad. I was just going to cut the paver, and use polyurethane adhesive to place the paver vertically. It beats having to rip all the stairs out...

8. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

back lash, why don't you tak and do the landings ine pavers and face the risers with field stone. that would give it a really nice look.

9. back_lash

back_lash LawnSite Member

Hey,
    Yeah I did do the landing in pavers already. I did a approx 6ft x 6ft landing with a 8"x4"x1 3/4' tumbled paver. I was just going to use the same pavers, cut them to 5-6inches, and use the PL to glue them to the concrete stair vertically... What do you mean by fieldstones? Do you have a pic or something so I know what you mean. The space between the landing and the step isn't very big, its about 5-6 inches, Then its the concrete step which sticks out about 1 3/4", so around the same depth as the paver. So I was just trying to cover up that part in between the landing, and where the step sticks out, because its just white unfinished concrete, that looks awful. How would you apply fieldstone anyway? I don't have any equipment or anything, so if there is alot of cutting involved, or mortor, I think I'd do a crappy job lol...