Rising Gas Prices

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RPM Lawn Care, May 28, 2006.

1. RPM Lawn Care

RPM Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hey was wondering what some of you are doing to offset the rising gas prices. I want to charge a fuel surcharge, but how much? Should I use a % of the total charge on each property or just come up with a set price for all customers? HELP!!!!!

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

our fuel prices are down about $.20-.30........but I add a 5% surcharge any time I pay more than $2.29 for fuel...

D

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If you bid it properly, and knowing this year, based on last year that fuel prices were very unstable, you shouldn't have to add a surcharge, it should already be covered in your cut price.

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Yup. Any residential accounts I gained this year were 2 dollars higher then I would of priced in the past, more then enough to cover me up to $4.50 a gallon. Any of last years places were already priced at 2.50 a gallon so I'm safe there too, but I did raise them all up a buck.

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

PLUS, think about this,

Nobody, our clients included like "surcharges", so if you do it you run the risk of losing good clients.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, I kept my prices the same all of last year but I raised them by 5 dollars for the most part this year and the extra $5 / yard helps a TON. I have less customers but overall my deposits are higher than last year's, thou it's only May it looks like it might be an ok year money-wise after all, I'm ahead of last year so far by 2,500... Not the most amazing figure, but that's still +500 / month.

I didn't raise all of my customers, either... But more than a few, and anyone new came on board as well.

That's my thing, I quote you a straight price, be it 35 or 40 or whatever, it is a straight price rounded to 5 or 0 and once quoted, it does not change for the rest of the year. So for those customers worrying about the budget, they know I don't raise my prices on them mid-season so the world can do what it wants but my price to them stays rock steady all year.