1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rising prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by derekarbeiter, Mar 25, 2008.

1. derekarbeiter

derekarbeiter LawnSite Member

I have been in this business for about 6 years and I am still a small business with about 16 accounts. With prices for gasoline and parts and just about everything else on the rise, I am trying to operate as effeciently as I can. I have a small trailer instead of pulling our 16 footer around which makes my truck gobble the gas. I look to expand but I am probably going to have to raise prices on a few yards. What do most of you guys charge these days for a yard the size of about an acre, and how do you determine your pricing? Do you measure the yard or what? Any advice would help. I think we are headed for a depression.:dizzy:

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

$45 for the first acre - $30-35 per acre after that.
  3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

You can only go so low and after that you may as well stay home. Im at about 45 for an acre lot.
  4. Harshman

Harshman LawnSite Member

I get $80 an acre for mow and blow and $45 an acre for bush hoggin.
  5. derekarbeiter

derekarbeiter LawnSite Member

Thank You for your replies.

How do you determine the price? Do you have a certain measuring device to find the exact size of the yard and go from there or do you just "eye ball it".
  6. Harshman

Harshman LawnSite Member

I generally try to get $50.00 an hour solo. I can mow the average clone-a-home (1/8-1/4 acre) in half an hour. That gets the $25 mow and blow at 1/4 acre or less residential only. The property must have a house on it to get that price. I then discount for 1/2 acre residential to $40.00 and double that for an acre, ie. $80.00. The lower rate for bush hoggin is simply because I use different equipment for that and can take out an acre with a couple of passes of the tractor.

I hope this helps.
  7. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

You are going to get prices all over the map on this. I really don't understand why the area makes a huge difference, but it does. Some of these guys are getting $45 for an acre. I get $45-50 for 1/2 acre. And about $65-70 for an acre with all the trim work. I try to maintain at least $40-45 per hour. I really try to get more. Of course I don't charge by the hour, but I use that as a guide. I don't measure lawns to figure mowing prices. I just look at the lawn area and price based on how much grass, open mowing or many obstacles, amount of string trimming, slope, trees, bagging clippings or not, etc...
  8. woodbutcher44

woodbutcher44 LawnSite Member

firure out a base to start with .
    1/8 $20,, 1/4 $28, 3/4 $36, 1acre $44 I,m in Florida and the prices here are well below most of the county (5 lawn guys between my house and the entrance 2 more pass here every night ) but this is just for basic service
    harbor freight sells a measure wheel walker for around $20 if in dout measure for the area.
  9. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

I have two yards----very similar size----about an acre each

I charge the first one $75 and the second $65

The first has more concrete------more I gotta edge and blow

The second is more "wide open"

Depends on a number of factors

How many trees in the yard

What type grass it is-----different type grasses cut different, you know!!! And lets not start talking about Bahia when it starts "shootin' up" in the hot Summer!!!!
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Ya prices are all over the place in different part of the country. Sometimes you can just ask a potential customers what they are use to paying. You should figure out what your cost are ...My customer seem to be in no mood for me to get a raise. Low interest rates are not good for their retirement funds