Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Fieldman12, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

They built one of these huge facilities not far from where my girlfriend lives. I think they bought 140 acres and it is covered with construction equipment, dump trucks, and some ag equipment. I must say it is a huge place and all the equipment that I saw driving by it looked nice. Not junk like you usually see. Some of it came from rental companys so Im sure they had somewhat of a hard life. There grand opening is April 11th and 12th I think. Anyone ever dealt with them? Anything good or bad to say about them? They have the most big construction equipment I ever saw at one place. It is a heavy equipment man's heaven. They had some Cat dozers out on a pad next to the highway that looked new. Not sure if they was painted up or what. They had a Terex dump truck out a the road on a pad also that looked new.

http://www.rbauction.com/index.jsp?OVRAW=ritchie%20brothers&OVKEY=ritchie%20brother&OVMTC=standard

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Ritchie bros started out as a very small company in Richmond B.C. back in the early 80s then over the years they grew to the largest equipment auctioneers in the world. Any time I go to the Surrey Auction site which was their first auction site I still see the founders of the company. They make big money but their roots still come back to B.C.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Everything from good solid machines to junk at those auctions. It all looks good though, with a "Sherwin Williams overhaul". I used to buy and sell equipment at those auctions for a company I worked for. It is amazing how good a total piece of junk can look at one of those auctions.

4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard nothing but good about this organization. They don't let owners run up the bid on the buyers. That being said, I don't go to auctions where the auctioneer charges a buyers penalty/fee. Auctioneers are supposed to be an agent of the seller, not both the buyer and seller! If a lawyer or real estate agent did that, he/she would be brought up on ethics charges. Not saying that Richie bros is that way, just wanted to rant!:angry: :angry:

5. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

The biggest and the best for heavy equipment.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I have been guilty of driving up the bid then pull out before I end up owning it :laugh:

When you go to a Ritchie Bros Auction you consider the equipment as is where is you take a gamble on buying it. Ritchie Bros cleans and paints the equipment if the customer wants it done to get a better price. Its amazing how a 5 gallon rebuild makes people buy worn out junk :cool2:

I have been going to Ritchie Bros Auctions with Dad for years about 20 years and dad has been going for 25 years or more.

7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

People get carried away at auctions, and spend too much. Thats my theory anyway. I was in Orlando this March and could not believe how much equipment was at that auction. Heard they sold 175 million in machinery.