1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

River Rock #3 price

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Fishin LCO, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Fishin LCO

Fishin LCO LawnSite Member
    from NC

I would like to know what others are charing for installing river rock per ton. I know there are many variables like cost, overhead, and site difficulty, but would still like to know peoples numbers. Most guys have a standard price for installing mulch(price per yard installed). So I am just wondering what are some prices for River Rock #3 installed per ton. River Rock #3 is a small braown and tan rock usually about half and inch to 2 inches diameter.

2. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

price for stone + 10% + delivery + 3-5x what I paid for the stone per ton for installation..

Ex.. 1ton river rock $45.. my selling price price $49.50 + $85 delivery + $135-225 for installation total for one ton : approx $269.50- 359.50..
  3. Fishin LCO

Fishin LCO LawnSite Member
    from NC

bump...any more input
  4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

River rock is sold by the yard here and I'm guessing it's weight is about a ton. It costs $90 per yard. I charge around 1.5 - 2 times the cost for install... (maybe more if it was a very difficult location) plus delivery charge.

So... cost of product + 1.5 - 2 times the cost of product + delivery = total.
  5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Man I'm getting 2" river rock for about 25 bucks a yard, and then plus delivery, (or I can drive 10 mins to pick it up). I would install it for about 80 bucks a yard at the least.
  6. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Rock prices vary greatly depending on location and type. I charge $60/ton labor regardless of price.
  7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I hope the $ 85.00 delivery fee is part of the ficticious example. I could never charge a client that kind of coin for a one ton delivery, much less a 10 ton delivery...Our cost for stone here is $ 28.00/ T for 1-2" , and $ 35.50 / T for 2B Special, 3-5".For delivery only, not markup, we add $ 2.00 per ton , plus $ 35.00 for delivery for up to 14 miles.15 miles and over it is a $ 50.00 fee.
  8. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge an $85 delivery fee for any amount of stone I haul.. I don't have a huge dump truck yet, and hauling stone is beating the crap out of my little F-150.. So I'm going to make money off it, or I'm not hauling it..

My other prices are alittle more reasonable..

Topsoil - $45 1-3yds
    Mulch - $35 1-7yds
  9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys need to find a quarry!

Our quarry charges ~$6/ton for #4's, which by the description given is roughly the size of the #3's, maybe slightly larger.

Delivery by tri-axle would be in the neighborhood of $8-10/ton, depending on where it was going in the county.

And our labor would vary according to the site and what equipment we could use to haul/spread it.

10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Gotcha Steve. That's great you can get that, wish I could.

Dan-Our prices above are from the local supplier we deal with. On larger jobs over ten ton, I deal directly with our local quarry. Only problem is they only deliver a minimum of 22T, and it is about a 17 mile trip, one way , for us to go and pick it up. A little too far to be profitable on smaller jobs, especially when the landscape supply co. is one mile down the road from our shop!