1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

River Rock And Some Other Stuff

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GrassInPA, Sep 2, 2003.

1. GrassInPA

GrassInPA LawnSite Member

Alright guys/gals,

I've already done this job, but I want some opinions so I know how much to charge on future jobs.

I have a total of 30 hours into this job. It has been split between trimming hedges, prepping a hillside, and laying river rock.

The hedges on average take around 3 hours to do with cleanup. I had to lay landscaping fabric on the hillside and also cut down a forsythia (sp?) bush that was around 10 feet tall to the ground.

Then came the 5000 pounds of river rock that had to be put on the hillside. Since I only have a Dodge Dakota, I could only carry 1000 pounds at a time and a delivery was not an option.

Needless to say, I have 30 hours tied up into this job with everything. I then charged her $10/trip for the stone and $10/trip for dumping the hedges. Finally, $75 was tied up in supplies and her final bill was $515.00

If you need any more info, let me know.

2. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

so $515 minus $75 in supplies equals $440 that you made in 30 hours. You made $14.66 per hour, how do you think you did?
  3. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Ground Master is Right For $14.66 I would rather work at walmart I try to stay around $55-$65 an Hour Just a thought
  4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

You have to learn your craft some how, correct?

So this is a learning experience as every day will be.....;)

You walked away making a profit and the customer was happy, good day in my opinion.

Now provided your looking to expand your business, buy a larger truck and other equipment. You have to understand where that money is coming from. That would be you. Although what you made on that job is not all that bad to walk away with for yourself only. You have to consider money for the business.

Now imagine how much nicer that job would have been if you had made double? or even triple. Knowing that the truck needs repairs and insurance, and the business insurance needs to be paid, etc.....
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Ah yes, it sure is nice to hear some education and learning going on rather than someone using the scrub word or crucifying someone for pricing too low.
    Good luck in the future zach and educate yourself and learn from your mistakes.We all made them and continue to make them!
    Your price should have been tripled.
  6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Glan ... not gonna bash the guy for charging way to little but how do you figure he made a profit? Just off the top of my head dv52 is around to what he should have been .... live and learn but do it in a hurry ... the fellow wont have any money to even replace his truck at those prices.
  7. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Please, do me a favor and reread my post...........;)
  8. kris

from nowhere

Glan ... you gave him some good advise but he didn't walk away with a profit...not even close. It was a bad day IMO and hopefully he learns from it.
  9. GrassInPA

GrassInPA LawnSite Member

Alright guys,

Here's the story in a nutshell. I go back today to plant a blue rug that was pulled out by accident and I was denied payment until this was replaced. Anyway, she told me that she has told her friends how much I charged and they are floored with the price.

To end the story, she brings the check out complaining how she feels swindled, cheated, and taken advantage of since I didn't offer a senior citizen's discount. Finally, when I got back to my truck, I realized the check was not for the full amount. The bill was for $515 and the check was only for $500.

Instead of going back and demanding the rest of the money, I came home to seek advice from my parents. My parents tell me to accept the loss and that it won't break me. I feel that I was taken advantage of and should go back to get the full amount I had earned.

I also cut grass for this customer and I am sending a letter tomorrow in the mail that she is no longer a customer. My question is: should I state in the letter that the check was not for the full amount or should I go down there to get my money.

Once again, my parents say to let it go and that if I do anything else, she can get me in trouble for harassment. I'm done rambling now.

10. kris

from nowhere

Another lesson learned ..I hope ... always put your proposal in writing and get it signed. There should have been no surprises for anyone. Doesn't have to be an elaborate contract for a job like this ... something simple stating what will be done and what materials will be used. Check around and get the biggest deposit allowed. I wouldn't get a deposit on something this small but you may want to.