River rock drainage question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Lawnworks, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have a customer that wants some river rock installed, but he is worried about it washing. I really do not think it is an issue and suggested staggering some larger rock to slow the flow. He is main concern is keeping the dogs out of the mud. Also what would keep the clay from coming up through the rock? Would landscape fabric do it or would I need some kind of grid?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

First you will need to dig out the end there so it will drain off to somewhere rather than just sit there.
    Then I would use thick layers of several sized rocks and also big rounded river rock ,here it's called Noiya
    and make it a creekbed look.You should not have problems with the clay coming through if it is dug out a bit and graded to drain and use thick 4'' layer of
    1&1/2+ to 2&1/2+round first and 3&1/2+ river and larger second

3. Lawnworks

from usa

It is draining from the back of the yard through the fence to a ditch on the side yard.

I think it does need to be graded a bit. You would suggest 4" thick?

4. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

Lawnworks,

I'll somtimes install a 4" perforated drain tiled under the landscape fabric and then put down the river rock. I'd definately recommend the landscape fabric to keep the mud from coming up and help keep weeds from growing up through the rocks.

Dave

mccabe11 resized.jpg

mccabe dry creek bed resized.jpg

5. Lawnworks

from usa

Wow those bigger rocks look great! How much per ton are those?

6. sheshovel

Kholes,he needs to get the water out of there completely.if he puts the perforated drain under the fabric,whats to keep the drain from filling up with clay?

7. sheshovel

You can use geotexile under the rock of course I would not recommend landscape fabric though,and a the rock will carry the water out,I see no need for a drain.

8. Lawnworks

from usa

When he was considering using a drain, it was going to be a big one. It is hard to see/imagine how much water goes through there. I haven't even seen it b/c it only happens when there is a gully washer.

9. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

Lawnworks,
    I can't remember exactly, but it was somewhere between $60 to $75/yard.

Sheshovel,
    We don't have much clay where I work, so I can now see how the perforated drain could clog. One option might be to put a 'sleeve' on the drain and when backfilling, fill the trench with gravel. Then put down somthing that will allow the water to run through and not the clay.

On the job with the pictures we hooked into existing drain tiles that carry the water away.

Are you thinking the water will not penetrate the clay at all?

Just a possible option.

Dave

10. Lawnworks

from usa

The problem occurs only when it rains hard, and I am thinking that a small 4-6" pipe will not be able to route all of the water. I think it would work if the pipe was much larger. But the customer does not want to go the expense of the larger pipe.

From your experiences, has the landscape fabric worked or will grid be needed?