rivets or no rivets?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grass disaster, Mar 5, 2005.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

looking to buy a trailer i can get it without rivets at the same price. i'm planning on getting a black trailer and the rivet less would be easier to clean i'm thinking. i could just squeegee it dry. but on the other hand the rivets are probably stronger. which should i get????????

2. grass disaster

thanks for the help guyz?

3. TerraVenture

TerraVenture LawnSite Member

I just bought a 8.5'x24' without screws on the sides from cargo express. You can get screwless sides from alot of the major manufacturers. It is an otion you have to ask for. It might not be available on the less expensive models. I just paid a little over $10K for mine. I know it is available on some Pace and wells cargo models. I got the cargo express because of the full tube frame construction.

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We run 2 haulmarks 1 with rivets 1 without, it was a expensive option the 1 without,you will be pleased it makes the lettering stand out and look so much better. i would rivet the seams for the wind at high speeds they use 3m tape.

5. grass disaster

I'm just wondering how strong that that glue(tape) is compared to the rivets i know the alluminum is not a very stable metal and likes to expand and contract easily. expecially here in minnesota.

i know i would like the stream line look but i don't want my sides falling off!!!!!

6. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

i would get whatever is the strongest. you know how employees tear up everything.

7. Goble's Lawn Service

Goble's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

we have a 16' trailer without rivets and is holding up well and is coming up on two years. If you can afford it, it looks a lot better than with rivets and so far is just as strong. The salesman said that it is just as strong as rivets (but you know they'll say anything to get you to spend more).

8. grass disaster

it does not cost me anything to get it without rivets, it's the same price