Road building Unprocessed gravel vs shale

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Aug 20, 2014.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I'm building a 1600 ft road/driveway that will see heavy weight often. I need to stick to unprocessed materials for cost. I can get shale or unprocecessed gravel of decent quality, nothing huge and ugly in it, decent mix of stone, clay loam, and sand. Both are 10ish a yard with trucking. I will be topping it with crusher run and I will probably do road fabric too.

2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

what do you mean by unprocessed gravel? Size comparison, is it #57, 34, etc...

For heavier weight do a larger base stone topped with a 57 size for consistency/uniformity.

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I can get rca free here, maybe try looking around on craigslist? Not familiar with that other stuff, cant help you there

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

Unprocessed gravel, basically bank run of okay quality. I figure the material in each case is not far off of free. 10 a yard is basically just trucking

5. Hollowellreid

Hollowellreid LawnSite Senior Member

Ive used 'pit run' or whatever you want to call it here before.

Seems to me i paid about $3.50/ton picked up at the yard. Mostly sandy and clean gravel, compacted well enough and was good and cheap

6. tbi

tbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Shale sucks as it's too soft and turns to powder quickly.

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

Yeah I know shale can break down but most of our cheaper pit run/ bank run is going to be a little soily or clayey so is fairly likely to rut with moisture.