Road Salt Damage

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by battags, Apr 17, 2003.

1. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I have several customers who live on a busy road and whose lawns have taken a beating from road salt this season. What's the best way to treat these areas?

To compound matters, one of them does not want any chemical application to the lawn. Any organic solution?
  2. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Prune if on shrubs, replace if in turf. Is my guess.
  3. Dchall_San_Antonio

Dchall_San_Antonio LawnSite Senior Member

It's way too late for this guy but a really good soil test will tell you how much calcium and magnesium is needed to balance the excess sodium. Once the salts are in balance again, the grass should grow.
  4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Battags,

Here is an interesting thread that might give you an idea of what to replace the grass with so this doesn't happen every year.
  5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

"Gypsum" ???

Expound a little, please, Glan. I've heard of gypsum used as a curative to salt spills. Can you also use it as a preventative? If so, at what rates and how often to apply?

And what about the idea that gypsum flushes all salts, including fertilizers? How long after a gypsum app wouold it be useful to fertilize?
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

gypsum, if applied in two apps, should be 40 lbs per k, if in one app, 80 lbs per k. u can seed, fertilize, do whatever u want, the gypsum will not effect
  8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Thanks Bobby....;)

I wouldn't worry about salts after this years rains.
  9. Hometown Lawn Care

Hometown Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Use Gypsym and Flush out the area alooooooooootttttttttttttttt with water, treat it almost like a chemical spill (it basicly is one in a small amount). Im from Massachusetts, so we get calls for this all the time because our winters are brutal and every storm we have trucks spreading that ---- everywhere...

Good luck and happy cuttin!

P.S Gypsym is expennnnsiveeeeeeeeeeee!! so if your customers are cheap, tell them the best remedy is to flush with water at least once a week, along with normal watering.
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

gypsum cost me $5 per 40 lb bag. i use a drop spreader, a bit dusty.