Road Tax

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darwin, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Darwin

Darwin LawnSite Member

Does anyone have a solution to avoid road tax with there un-leaded gas?

I've looked into it here (In.) and have had no luck.

Why the difference between gas and diesel?.........other then farming.

Thanks for any input.
  2. Road and off road.

When you do your taxes keep track of how much fuel the truck uses and how much the rest of the equipment uses, anything off road you can get that money back I think in a tax credit.

I deduct it all, so I could care less.
  3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

HUH? You lost me, slow down and explain.
  4. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, got LGF post, and know what he's talking about.
  5. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, the way I see it is if you get through the ropes and do get off road credit, then you have to put it back into the business as income, or reimbursed expences. and you get taxed on it anyway.
    So, it's not worth the effort.
  6. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Actually was pretty simple as we did it for the first time last year. You still deduct the entire cost of the dollar amount of the equipment gas as an expense.

What you need to do is track the number of gallons of gas used for the equipment and you get an additional credit of the federal road tax portion of each gallon of that gas, which really adds up over the course of the year.

Your getting the full tax deduction of the gas cost plus the road tax credit. Its not an either or situation. Dont have the time at the moment to pull out my tax return but this has been discussed on here before.

Have a good one.
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Been doing this for 15 years.

This is why I don't understand people pushing to buy a big tank and purchase off road fuel. Sure, you pay the tax upfront, but you get it all back in April.

And, AxMan, if your worried about an additional hundred bucks pushing you into the next tax bracket, then don't do it!

BTW, its $0.184 per gallon that your entitled to.
  8. Convenience. No gas station stops.

Tank is supplied by the CO-OP.

I don't use it much anymore, but fuel is kept in it.
  9. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

We still use the gas pump we have at my grandparents house. I think its a 1000 gallon tank in the ground and we get it without tax because its for the small gas tractors and farm trucks.
  10. You get cought using that in your truck, I would hate to be in your shoes.