Road trip for a Hustler Super Z!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JLC, Aug 28, 2001.

1. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Let me be, I believe, the first one on Lawnsite to announce that I've got a Hustler Super Z! I made a trip to Hesston, Kansas were I took delivery of a 60" Super Z with a BAC VAC catcher Monday afternoon from Paul Mullet, president of Excel Hustler, and the guys at the factory. They were kind enough to take me through the plant and show me the makings of the machine from the raw steel to the finished product rolling off the line and everything in between. Let me just say I've now got first hand knowledge that this machine is built very well. If their commitment to customer service I've spoken about before doesn't mean anything to you, then their factorys commitment to making a top quality product should. I had time to talk with their production supervisor and it was obvious that he and the other employees work very hard at and take pride in what they produce. Once again, similar to my thread about the Hustler Hydro Walkbehind I purchased, the Hustler personel outdid themselves with their hospitality! I am very anxious to use the machine! I'm sure I will love it and will keep you updated on how it works out for me.

Ben Johnson
    Johnson Lawn Care

2. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats Ben,
    I live about an hour from Hesston. It looks like I should try to make a trip there also.

Good luck with your new equipment, I look forward to hearing what you find with it.

David

3. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

I have some contacts in Kansas, also - were you able to demo a machine at Hesston?

4. JLC

from IA

I actually demo'd the machine in 72" in my hometown. Read my thread "Bought a Hustler Hydro Walkbehind...with a twist". It explains the details of the Super Z. I'd put the link in, but have time to find it right now.

5. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

How was the price?

What does this machine compare to (Exmark, Dixie, Toro?).

What made you buy this vs: the others?

Just curious for future reference.

Any info will be appreciated.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

that thing will outdrag a chevy.:D i do like the smooth controls
    but you can get that on the regular z

7. JLC

from IA

Bruces, the price was fair considering that I bought two mowers at a time (within a week and half of each other). Talk to your dealer and I'm sure he will quote you a good price. I bought the machine because it is quite overbuilt and uses very good components. It is assembled with high attention to detail and I believe it will be a long lived machine. The quality of cut is excellent so far (1 hour on the machine). The people that make Hustler account for a big amount of my trust in the machine. I believe they would do about anything for me, or anyone for that matter, to keep me cutting and happy.

Awm, one of the nice feature of the Super Z that persuaded me to it were the dual hydro coolers and the cooling fan. After the trouble I've had with my Scag hydro pumps and wheel motors I wanted a machine that was engineered to keep the hydro oil cool. To me this is important and worth the upgrade to the Super Z.

8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

JLC,
    You have got to be loving that Super Z !!!
    Good to hear you got it.
    I think you are the first person here on Lawnsite to get one !!!
    Let us know what your production times are now that you have it.

Later
    Pj

9. PWM

PWM President, Hustler Turf Equipment

I just want to thank Ben for making the long trip to Hesston, Kansas in the middle of August. I believe he will have a tremendous business in Central Iowa in the near future.

I would also like to personally invite anyone on the Lawnsite to come visit us, meet our people and see how we produce the Hustler Z and other products. Just let me know ahead of time by phone or Email and we will make all the arrangements for you.

Thanks,

Paul

10. Dodgeboy

Dodgeboy LawnSite Member

How do you like your Hustler Hydro Walkbehind. I have been looking at purchasing one myself. I have been thinking about starting a lawn care business. From what I have seen everyone say about Hustler. I think a Hydro 37" walkbehind might be a good mower for me to start with. There isnt a Hustler dealer within 2 hours of where I live though. I am sure the 2 hour drive would be worth it though.