Roadside Mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gmlcinc, Jan 31, 2008.

1. gmlcinc

gmlcinc LawnSite Member

I have searched the heck out of this and can't seem to find much. Does any one on here do roadside mowing for their county or state? If so, what's the rate that you charge per mile? I know what to charge per acre, but when converted to miles this seems low.

BTW, I am talking about large scale, the entire county, using a 80+ HP tractor and flail or rotary mower. Thanks

2. gmlcinc

gmlcinc LawnSite Member

any body ?

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Do you have any idea of how many miles of road are in a county? Your gonna need a heck of a lot more than one tractor and wing mower...

4. gmlcinc

gmlcinc LawnSite Member

Counties are 36 x 36 or 1296 sq miles. However, there isn't really that many miles to be mowed because it isn't all square miles and it doesn't include city limits. Also, I said nothing about 1 tractor. Thanks for the input.

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Edit... you have 2 miles of mowing, per mile of road (each ditch). Or 4 miles of mowing per square mile... so it would take FOUR units to mow it all in 8 weeks... Around here though, most gravel mile-line roads (and ditches along them) are maintained by the township, not the county.

6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

weve bid some county/muni work it went for next to nothing, even if you had the best fastest equipmenti dont see it being to profitable, but people keep doing it so who knows.. i think the way those guys make money is buy cutting it alot less in the summer and still getting paid, and pray for a drought, lol...

7. SomervilleLawncare

SomervilleLawncare LawnSite Member

gmlcinc,

I've been trying to find info on government mowing bids in general and can't find much. Having worked for a county at one point I know most of them have summer mowing crews that take care of this type of work. This may not be true with all counties however. If I find any information I will send it your way and if you find anything out give me a shout. Take Care!

8. QLC- Rick

QLC- Rick LawnSite Member

What does square mile have to do with anything? Seems to me you need to drive every road you're going to cut, record the mileage, then multiply by 2 where necessary. I have no idea about where you are, but In my county that would be in the thousands.

anyway, as far as pricing that, I have no idea. Good luck.

9. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Amount of acres per mile depends on what width swale you have. 5', 6', 8', 10', 12', 15', 25' ? If the county here did all of the right of way they would be cutting about 25'. But as they are cheap, they only cut a 6' cut on a 50' per side right of way. And then only if the landowner doesn't cut it. 8.25' per side equals 2 acres per mile of road. A 50" or less cut per side should be billed at 1 acre per mile.

10. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

ugh...how well are those roadsides maintained as far as debris and garbage pickup? In Texas, roadside mowing is hard on equipment...