Rob again (hydro)

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ChadsLawn, Sep 13, 2006.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to change the hydro fluid today while Im waiting on my jack shaft to be rebuilt. model# ZK52220.. I know it doesnt take synthetic oil, and it takes about a gallon to fill. Can you find out what weight I need to use and the procedure. I have the manual in PDF, but it doesnt tell me how to change it. Since you have access to this stuff at work.

Chad

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Use 20-50W engine oil, Just remove the drain plug on the bottom of the hydro tank and let drain. Pre-fill the new filter with oil before installing. Once the filter is changer and tank re-filled jack the rear tires off the ground. Start the unit up and at 3/4 throttle move the sticks full forward then full reverse around 8 times, This should purge any air out of the system.

3. ChadsLawn

Thanks Bud, Ill do it tomorrow after mowing. By the way, should the pumps make a whining noise? Mainly when moving?

4. Restrorob

Nope, That sounds like possibly air in the system. Do the service as posted and see if it doesn't go away.

5. olyman

olyman LawnSite Gold Member

restorob---20w50??????? never done one--thought it would use reg hyd fluid---hmm learn new everyday!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Restrorob

Thats correct, Most units use nothing more than engine oil. Some use 30w while other's use 20-50w, Thats why it's best to check your owner's manual or ask questions before adding or changing oil. The wrong oil could cause costly damage to the system.

7. olyman

olyman LawnSite Gold Member

you mean like someone putting 20w50--in a 4.6 ford overhead cam---------------------!!

8. ChadsLawn

Im not doubting you, but its never been changed. How could air get into the system?

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Whining how? All hydros that I have heard make a whining noise when making turns or beginning to move or moving at full stick, pacing at 4mph they should be near silent compared to the engine. How much of a whine?

Some hydros also use 15w50 olyman.

10. ChadsLawn

Yeah they whine when taking off and turning. Havent paid too much attention when moving. But you can hear it over the engine when taking off and turning.