1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Robbed by phone please help?

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by lawnpropm, Oct 13, 2010.

1. lawnpropm

lawnpropm LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys I know this is the stolen equipment forum but im reaching out for help here. I had a contract with a landowner who is selling the property. I was contracted to clear three acres of timber. Landowner gave me permission to take what ever trees and rocks off the property to sale for my profit, therefore I wasn't to high on the price. Long story short landowner gets mad and says we cut trees he didn't want cut down however he never marked anything saying he didn't want cut. He called and told me to be considered paid in full and to stay off the property. He thought we were making bank on the cherry trees and he wasn't getting any but that's not the case. Can he do this or can I sue him for the balance.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Question? Do you have anything in writing, if not then you should consider yourself paid. Im surprised you took that deal in the first place. Wow, I guess you will learn from this.
  3. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

bingo, live and learn
  4. lawnpropm

Yes I have a contract in writing with his signature. Yes I still have a lot of learning to do. Im only 3 years into it. I've done other jobs that were not on the cheap area but for some reason once u hit a certain dollar mark in this area you get screwed. Alot of guys here have that same problem. What can I do if anything?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. h2oskier

h2oskier LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a contract file on him, just remember you have to do it in the district he lives in.:waving:
  6. lawnpropm

He lives out if state but the property is in my county. Does that make a difference?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It will be filed in your county...where the contract states the work was to take place. Let me ask this...within the contract, does it say to take "whatever" trees off the property, as you state?
  8. lawnpropm

Yes it does and includes the rocks as well
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 LawnSite Member

Well if that's the case you don't need to "liva and learn"! You did everything right and now you've got this guy by the balls. Go get him.
  10. lawnpropm

10-4 thanks guys. Glad you guys posted so quickly. Thanks for all the help. Any tips on finding a good lawyer lol
    Posted via Mobile Device