Robin FL500 blower question, problem?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shane Scaife, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Shane Scaife

Shane Scaife LawnSite Member

Yesterday, I was running this blower (above) for the first time this season (For snow removal). I noticed it ran strong for the first half hour but then started slowing down, as if I was letting off the throttle. About 45 min in to the job it wanted to quit. I sat it down for about an hour then restarted it again, and it again ran strong for the 1/2 hr and again started slowing down. This unit is only a year old and had only been used one season.

What could be the problem?

It is an oil/gas mix. Might I need more oil in the mix?

2. Legacy

Legacy LawnSite Member

A couple of things could be happening...

How does the blower vent?? If it's out of the gas cap it could be clogged or something...if your gas tank does not vent properly it will cause the problem that you have...

You might have a bad ignition it heats dies

Good luck getting service and parts support for a Robin...they are terrible is my area...
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Legacy gave you checkpoint one. The fuel cap/tank vent. Check that out first...

You said you were running it for the first time this season.
    I don't know if that means it's new or if you just hven't used it until now.

What is the age of the blower and what 2 cycle mix are you using?

I've bee through similar issues.
  4. Mower Man

Mower Man LawnSite Member

Good suggestion on checking the 'vent'.

Regarding, 'more oil'.....if you haven't used enough by now, it may be too late.
    Oil ratio is 50:1. Must use an oil with ratings of ISO-EGD, JASCO-FC.

Cap on the blower is vented. Clean cap off inside & out. From the bottom side, suck inward. Also do it from the top side.
    If air comes in....its working. If not, it can be disassembled , and cleaned.
    Or, run the blower, and if it occurs, simply loosen the cap. If the blower begins to run ok,then it's the cap vent.

If problem still persists, look behind the carb at the large gasket where the manifold & cylinder meet. If the gasket is darker colored where they meet, the intake manifold is loose. Also check the carb mounting screws.

This is a well designed blower sold by Robin, Makita, and Dolmar.
    Parts shouldn't be an issue.
    Dealers aren't on every corner like some other lines, but here's some info:

Distribution in New England & Mid Atlantic States is by:

Kimbers 313-478-5761
    Syracuse, NY.

R. D. Faulkner 207-989-3792
    Brewer, Maine

Fuller Outdoor Power 800-932-5095
    Millersville, MD.

Called the NJ rep, and he has a dealer in Maple Shade, NJ.
    Lawn Mowers Unlimited
    Ph: 856-778-8484
  5. Shane Scaife

Shane Scaife LawnSite Member

Yep, Yep, Yep, I dumb! Itda be the gass capa for shure!!!!

That was it. LOL

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Now how do you like that blower otherwise? I've wondered how they perform because I'm a fan of that style of lower blower tube.