1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Robin Handheld Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2tall, Apr 18, 2005.

1. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

I was at the shop the other day and noticed the dealer is now carrying Robin along with Echo. I currently run Echo SRM-260's. That is the only brand that I have ever run so I can't accurately compare them to anything else.
    Does anybody have any experiences with Robin? Good, Bad? Parts availability, price, Etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I am going to check out the Redmax line too.
  2. airtractrdrivr

airtractrdrivr LawnSite Member

Hmm.. havent seen any of the Robin handheld equipment, but I've got a 6.5 hp Robin OHV engine on my 200 gal. lawn rig, and it's a top notch engine. Starts on the first pull every time, runs smooth, I couldnt ask for a better engine. havent had to replace anything yet, but alot of the parts on mine look identical to a Honda. The controls are even in the same place as a Honda.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Nice stuff. If you are tall you will appreciate their NB-20 string trimmer.
    It has a longer shaft, but I'm having trouble finding them.
    I'm starting to wonder if they discontinued that model?
  4. ow man

ow man LawnSite Member

2tall, around my area you can't find a Robin hand held dealer. I noticed your in the St. Louis area. Go with RedMax, there are several good dealers in that area and you can't go wrong with the RedMax line up. As for the large Robin OHV engines, they are built by Robin/Subaru. The two cycle hand held stuff is Robin Fugi.
  5. Mower Man

Mower Man LawnSite Member

Fugi Robin-DOLMAR-Makita are interwtined. Good stuff.
    They had a 4 stroke trimmer 2 years before Stihl, and Shindiawa, and a larger one about 33-34 cc.
    Rumored to have a large 4 stoke back pack late this year.

If you like the Echo SRM260, try the MS2501 (older model), or the new MS253
    Same power, but lighter weight, less vibration, and a bearing supported solid steel drive shaft not a straight flex cable with plastic sleeve.
    Think it also has "Auto Choke" a new carb by Zama that you push a button that puts the choke on, and also the fast idle lock. As it's warming up, simply squeeze the trigger, and it all disengages.

I also have a Red Max 2400. It has a little more torque that the MS253, but is heavier, and does have more vibration.

All three are top shelf, but the Echo is least preferred.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use robin trimmers and love them, 8.5 pounds for the nb 2056 and a steel shaft so you can add a blade if you need too.My oldest trimmer is going on the 3rd season and nothing but routine maintenence. Here is a web site for them that has a dealer finder

7. Spirit Lanwcare

Spirit Lanwcare LawnSite Member

Parts availability is a nightmare. That is why there are no more dealers left in my area.

Stick with the Echo. Very good stuff for the money!
  8. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

I have a back pack blower,edger and trimmer by robin,all run great however i have heard it is hard to get parts,also have an echo hand held blower(5 years old)cranks on the second pull everytime as well as my echo trimmer,if i could do it over again i would have stuck with echo.but no complaints with my robin equip. yet.
  9. grass_cuttin_fool

My deaLer seems to have a good inventory, I usually pick up air filters and I have seen throttle cables in his shop, not sure about a drive shaft but other than that a carb kit would be some of the parts needed to rebuild a trimmer. My dealer has plenty of parts for the trimmer heads, I tend to loose the line guides at times when changing spools
    Im curious as to which trimmer you have, I have wanted to try the 4 stroke trimmer, the weight is close to what most other 2 cycles weigh at 10 -11 pounds. What is your opinion of the back pack blower?, my dealer carries another brand and pushes there back packs. In was going with a Robin edger but I had a bad exp with cable drive edger so I went with a Stihl because of being a driveshaft :waving:
  10. grass_cuttin_fool

I dont see eye to eye with you on alot of threads, but I will have to admit, you are correct on not many if any dealers in Maryland, I put in several zipcodes and all that came back was the home office in NC.
    Seems like they would be in the area, they specialize in local harware stores and small shops.