1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lwcmattlifter, Nov 1, 2005.

1. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Anyone use these engines on their leaf blowers or other power equipment? How do they hold up in the long term compared to a Honda?
  2. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

I had a Robin blower before I got my Redmax and loved it. I wanted another after it was stolen but my dealer stopped selling them when he took on Redmax. I think the Robin is a great machine.
  3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

had a 5hp engine on a generator and it ran just like a honda GREAT! loved them.
  4. lwcmattlifter

from NC

This is the engine i'm looking at. Engine
    The part that I don't like about it is the power specs are taken at 4,000 rpm but they say that the max continuous operating speed is 3600 rpm. This makes their rated 9 hp engine a 7 hp working engine. Are we being tricked into believing this engine has more usable power than it does? Both Briggs and Honda take their specs at 3600 rpm. Will the Robin make that much less power than a 9 or 10 hp Briggs or Honda on a walk behind leaf blower?
  5. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

We had two of them on bagger systems. they are now at least 5 yrs, old and still going. the only draw back is make sure you keep a good air filter on them. As far as hp no you will not see any lack of power compared to the std.briggs engine.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The news gets even worse. There is also a maximum recommended horsepower which is usually about 20% less than the maximum horsepower. Take your walkbehind blower for example. The manufacturer knows through design and testing how much horsepower it takes to turn the impeller at a certain RPM. Let's say he contacts Kawasaki and asks about an engine to turn that impeller. Kawasaki will tell him that they have a 15 horsepower engine that is max rated at 13.8 horsepower. The reason they do the second rating is because the engine will last longer if it's not being worked to death at it's maximum horsepower. Here's an example of that second, not very much talked about, rating: http://www.kawpowr.com/4cycle/vert_fd501v.asp. You will see it in the graph.

I would say that that particular Robin engine is way underpowered.
  7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the best small mower engine in the world -period .i have a comm snapper21 thats on its 17th season!.trust me this engine hasnt been pampered. oil change only once a season. gets the toughest leaf cleanup jobs cause it has most hp and creates more bagging vacume. best part only repairs are a worn out carb butterfly and several starter ropes.these are tough engines -the 2 cyc one are very long lasting too. have a robin trimmer -great power to weight ratio. only owne d for 1 years so cant say how long it will last.bottom line -great products
  8. lwcmattlifter

from NC

Thanks for all the responses guys. I think that i'm going to go with the Honda, maybe the briggs. I wanted to buy the Robin but I think it's going to perform more like a smaller walk behind blower than a mid size.
  9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i would reconsider and get the robin engine. its a better engine than the honda and a briggs isnt even close. but its your money
  10. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

honda is the best at anything they touch!