Robin trimmers...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnworks, Aug 7, 2000.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have not heard much about these trimmers. I have a good opportunity to get a trimmer (nb321) for $160 and a stick edger (be221) for $140. I tried searching for these trimmers, but there isn't that much info about them. This equipment is practically brand new. What do yall think? Does anyone know how powerful the trimmer is?

Thanks
    Rick
    LawnWorks

2. jcoat

jcoat LawnSite Member

I personally do not have one, but do the Robins fall under the same manufacture of Wisconsin Robin? If so, I have a Snapper 21" walk-behind that's going on 14 years and I have never pulled more than twice to start it in that timeframe. Phenomenal little 4HP unit... pulls like the dickens... Also, I know Snapper has 6HP Robin engines, but, again, I don't know if they fall under the same manufacture. I don't know if this helps... good luck.

3. SKDCO

SKDCO LawnSite Member

I have Robin hedge trimmers they are great but they are temprermental,powerful but tempermental. I believe that they are Robin/Fugi?

4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

What do you mean by tempermental?

5. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Ive used Robin trimmers. They are pretty powerful & relatively lightweight. Ive never used an edger made by Robin. If its practically new, I say go for it.
    SJR

6. SKDCO

SKDCO LawnSite Member

tempermental; they are cold natured I guess would be a better phrase. Ever since I got them they require a least 5 to 6 pulls to start and still need to leave the choke on for a min or so before they warm up.My Shindawia's(trimmers) start on first or secound pull every time Don't get me wrong, I like them but I guess you need to take the good with the bad.

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not familiar with the model numbers, but if the trimmer is a commercial model, I'd say that is a pretty good deal.

I used a Robin stick edger several years ago and I liked it. I liked what some might not. The head was heavier than most. That actually worked to keep it from bouncing around as some other brands. I did have a Toro handheld blower several years back, at the time Robin was making them. It was a very good machine, cranked easily, well balanced and decent power.

Robin is just not very popular around here and that is why I haven't tried any of their newer stuff. i don't know if i would choose it over other brands, but if I got a deal on it used, I am sure it would be fine.

Keith

8. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Robin engines and their line of trimmers and stuff are made by the same people who build the Subaru cars. I haven't been able to find a dealer near Va. Beach, but they make a 4 cycle trimmer that is under 12 lbs, and a light duty 2 cycle less than 8. When I replace the current pieces I have, I will definitely look at Robin.

9. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Hey jcoat ive got the snapper with the robin 4hp im now going on 6yrs I am totally amazed that this mower keeps going. The only thing ive replaced is the starter rope. When it does go ill sure get another i can't think of any other 21 that can stay with it. I have never used there trimmers but i bet there very competitve.

10. T.L.C. Lawn Service

T.L.C. Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I have all Robin Weed Eaters and Edgers and Hedge Clipers and they are very light wieght and powerful and havent had a problem yet with them at all they still fire right up.