Robin vs Honda engine

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JimmyStew, Jun 13, 2008.

1. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

I'm hoping to pick up a new plate compactor soon. Most likely a Multiquip (Mikasa) 3450lbs unit. Can't decide on the Robin or Honda engine. The Honda runs an extra $200 and I know it's bulletproof. How about the Robin engine. Anyone have any experience with it? Is it as good as the Honda?
  2. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

I have had several air compressors with Robin engines, and I have had better luck with the Robin's, I think they start better and they are very reasonable to buy replacement engines when they ware out. I have also had good luck with Honda but do not think I would pay $200 extra for one
  3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

the biggest thing to consider is parts availability.

Usually Honda parts are available anywhere.

But how many small engine shops carry / sell Robin parts??
  4. Meezer

Meezer LawnSite Senior Member

I agree

No, not in my neck of the woods.

It all depends on where you are at. In my area, NW Indiana, I couldn't find anyone that carries Honda parts. The nearest place was across the border in Illinois (Chicagoland area)
  5. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

I'm afraid this is a moot point now. The dealer only had models with Honda engines. Guess what I bought! I had not really thought about the parts situation. Obviously, the store selling the product would likely be able to get parts, but there is a honda shop just down the street from my shop, and several small engine repair shops that also work on Honda engines. All in all, I know I won't be disappointed with the Honda engine, or the compactor.