Robin?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by toddman35, Sep 24, 2000.

1. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

I saw on the gravely website that they used robin engines on their mowers. I know what gravely has been around for along time, so i was wondering if the robin engines were any good? thanks

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

The robin engine on my trimmer has been reliable and powerful.

Rick
    LawnWorks

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

GRAVEly is trying every trick in the book to lower their costs including using Briggs and Stratton engines. The Robin 4 cycle engine is a Japanese engine of who's manufacture I can't remember right off hand. I would wait until there are more of them around before buying one. Parts could be tough to get in the future (remember Yugo).

4. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

I believe that Subaru is the manufacturer of the Robin 4-cycle engines. Either way, it is a premium engine and not a corner they(Gravely) have cut by any means.
    More than likely, Robin beat out Kawasaki and kohler with a bid of x-ammount per thousand engines. Usually how it works.
    Anyway, Robin is a great engine, but I don't have a clue about the parts availibility. I wouldn't shy away from it, though.

5. lakegastonla

Don't hold me to this, But I have been told that the reasoning behind our military's bombing the YUGO plant(when we were bombing Slobidan) was to provide retribution to the thousands of American citizens who had purchaced a YUGO.
    By the way, it is up and running again and has been for months!! Looks like we might need to try the same tactic with firestone.............

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Lakegastonla wrote:

{and not a corner they(Gravely) have cut by any means.
    More than likely, Robin beat out Kawasaki and kohler with a bid of x-ammount per thousand engines.}

Isn't this kinda what I said, "GRAVEly is trying every trick in the book to lower their costs"? Instead of sticking with engines that are readily available, have a ready supply of parts and/or of known quality they are cutting costs by using B+S and Robin engines. Well, when and if Robin (Subaru) decides that they are not selling enough engines in the U.S. to justify marketing them where are you gonna get parts or service? It's a lot like the Honda 13, it's a great engine but nobody wants it and if you buy it you gotta wait a month to get parts for it.

7. lakegastonla

Point taken.