robitic mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Butchs Lawn, May 26, 2001.

1. Butchs Lawn

Butchs Lawn LawnSite Member

has anyone tried those robitic mowers? have seen many adverstived never seen one in action. just curious what you guys think about them?what about battery operated mowers any body using them? thanx' for any commets.have good memorial day everyone!

2. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

I've read articles on at least two different ones, both had batteries of course, one ran until it got low on juice and will go back an plug itself in to recharge, and the other was solar powered. I doubt we'll ever see them as competion in our lifetime. lol

3. CLARKE

CLARKE LawnSite Member

They never make one big enough for me in my life
    time, what fun would that be.:blob3:

4. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,

well, if we can put a man on the moon, then I can't see why they can't come up with a mower that doesn't need an operator.

For the time being though, I don't see a 'real' robotic mower coming out for quite some time. These robomowers now are really just 'gadgets', and nothing more.

I can't remember where, but I read in a magazine about a new concept car in japan. Believe it or not, it actually had a lawn mower built into to it. The coolest part was, it had a 'recycling sytem built in, that would suck in the grass clippings and decompose them as they passed through the system. It used something like gamma radiation or something wacky like that to break down the clippings.

Someday, I'm sorry to say, they will have mowers that run themselves. But, I'm with the others on saying 'not in our lifetime'

steveair

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would be in the not in my lifetime group too but when i was a shophmore in high school in 1983 a teacher told us about this lazer record player they were coming out with and that cassettes would become obselete. I thought he was nuts. So i say maybe someday.

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Steveair, I read that too. It was a lawnmower first, car second. It used a lazer to cut the grass and recycle the clippings somehow. Pretty neat. Mercedes built it.

7. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

One of my customers just won and installed a robotic mower built by Friendly Robotics. The unite would have cost $800.00 if he had to buy it. He set it up to cut his front lawn only app.1,000 sq. ft. and it takes 2 1/2 hours to cut it. It has 3 blades about 6 In. long, battery operated and is about the size of a wheelbarrel. I'm still cutting for him, he considers his prize a novilty and it is, but so was the first automobile.

8. The next new mower I will buy is going to be self operating and gps controlled.

Perfect machine for sports field work. With the first pass I can rake
    mow shread and core aerate 60". On the second pass the machine will
    spread/spray and make a second aeration pass.

I will sit in my Dodge Camper Van and fertilizer hauler with the roof air running keeping tabs on the mower with a remote dead man control,
    while sitting in a comfy captains chair while eating a cheeseburger.

No more dust, pollen, fertilizer dust, and overspray in the face.

Plus PERFECT stripes and appplication coverage.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

When I was at the Michigan Ag expo at the Michigan State University grounds, (great show) they had a tractor there (and I mean a BIG tractor!) that would operate by itself. It had a camera positioed up in the cab, and operated from a computer. This tractor, it was the type and size that was 4WD and had dual wheels across the back, (John Deere of course) would actually plow, spray, plant, or any other operation they wanted it to by itself! Now, something with THAT much power, running unmanned is a little scary!:blob3:

10. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I rolled a lawn for a guy who bought one.It was pretty neat,but it had baldes that where almost as thin as sheet metal.Plus it has to cut the lawn about every 2 days becouse it can't handle much tall grass.You also have to lay wiring around the area/s you want cut.You also have to drive it out and activate it.So with all that work it is basically just a cool little toy.But wait 10 years and will see if they are still "neat toys" for all we know we may be replaced by those toys!!!! (scared look on face here)

:D