ROBO-MOWER - For real - LOL !!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdvaden, Mar 17, 2008.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Today, looking online for an electric mower for my wife's mom, I find this ROBO MOWER on Sears...

ROBO MOWER from Sears / $2200 plus

Instead of just laughing at this, I figured why not ask about it.

Have any of you encountered properties that use one or more of these?

Ever tried one?

Heard about the reliability?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's nothing new, although when I first saw it I was like wow, too...
    But I believe this thing has tried to sneak its way into the market since the 1960's...
    The technology has been around and it's not that complicated, just a bunch of sensor switches make it turn or stop when such a trigger is activated.
    But to answer the last three questions it goes no, no, and no.

You have to train it, and folks just don't feel comfortable letting a device such as this run around unsupervised.
    For one it can (and does) wander off... I believe they've had one or two at these Expos and there's a joke or two being told about that.
    Like it runs out of charge before it's done, or it gets itself stuck in a corner, tries to mow over the cat or the flower beds, I'm sure there's more.
    They're just not all that, they do all right but it's not plug-n-play (or actually, it is LOL).

The one part I do find amazing is that even with today's technology these things, they just don't cut it, pun intended.

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

A small wire is pegged to the ground around the perimeter of your lawn, a similar type of technology that invisible pet containment systems use. This is a one-time setup and takes about as long as it does to mow your lawn one time. This wire will virtually disappear from sight in two to three weeks in normal growing conditions. This wire forms the virtual fence for the Robomow®, containing it to the area you are mowing.

But I like stripes on my lawn...
    A traditional walk mower has to leave stripes, there is no choice. So, if you must have stripes, it would be preferable to have them look nice and neat. With the Robomow®, there are no stripes, so no need to worry.

Since it moves across the lawn in many different directions, won't I have lawn stripes that make my lawn look like a puzzle?
    The Robomow® does not leave stripes on your lawn after cutting, it leaves a striking smooth uniform appearance. Since it does not create a large air flow from the blade rotation it will not lay the grass down similar to a walk mower, which is what creates the stripes. However, since it is moving across the grass in all directions it offers a much better quality of cut than a traditional walk behind.

http://www.friendlyrobotics.com/

yawn......:laugh::laugh::laugh:

4. juspayme

juspayme LawnSite Senior Member

robo is bunk! wait till it rains for 4 days and el robo is stuck in mud ruts with those tiny bunk wheels. how about if sticks blow down in your yard. those blades are shot. yarn rope in the yard? some kleenex gets cut. that will look real good

5. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping LawnSite Member

Seen them, but never seen one used. Maye this is someone's dream machine it does all the work for them. :usflag: