Robot Mower will put us all out of business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by broken leg, Nov 20, 2004.

1. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

:gunsfirin :pumpkin: Did any body see the robot mowers a the GIE show. I asked the guy about them and he said the LCO would put them on site and it would say use time. He said that if some one stole them they have GPS tracking. Around here they don't care it's just something else to steal. I think you would spend more time chasing down stolen robots then getting work done.

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We had a business meeting with the guys from Husquavarna about the robomower. I got to shoot down their idea for about an hour, while they bought my crew lunch. They said we weren't the only ones against it. :rolleyes:

3. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

Somone still has to install and moniter the perimeter wire that the robot mower follows. There will always be money to be made.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I've had this idea for years for a lazer lawn mower. The heads could pop up just like sprinkler heads, but with a lazer. The beam would rotate around at a certain height and cut the grass. You could schedule it to 'mow' every day, the lawn would always look perfect.

That would put the robo mowers out of business, too!

:D

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

A local dealer was selling a robot mower which was all electric with rechargeable batteries. He was also using it at his house. He had to cut every other day of it could not cut high grass. After he lost the third one into the canal behind his house he gave up. He no longer sells them.

Now is this something of the future?? Sure it is and not real far away. But some one has to install a Robot Friendly landscape and maintain the Robot. Look at irrigation, Repair is higher profit than install.

6. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

Man! I would hate for me or my dog to be standing in the yard when those lazers cut on and cut our feet off at the ankles! :cry: :cry: :cry:

7. Dig Yard Dirt

Dig Yard Dirt LawnSite Member

:help: I guess I'll be saying, "Will that be paper or plastic, sir" in the near future.

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

You could use those nifty "cool lazers" like they use for eye surgery, cosmetic surgery, etc. No one would get hurt.

:D

9. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

you said he had to cut the grass everyother day with this mower, well what if they start using that new lab grown lawn seed that makes the grass grow really slow in combination with the robot

we are all screwed.

im wondering if mabye the maid industry was concerned about those romba vaccuum robots that sorta faded out. we bought one for the house and didnt like it constantly gets stuck and runs out of battery and is flat out annoying

hopefully if we get the same results as they did we are in good shape

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

They'll need to come out with a robo-trimmer, robo-edger and robo-blower to really make us obsolete. A neighbor of one of my customers has a robot mower, he'll be the first to tell you it cuts like crap. He's waiting for it to break down so he can justify hiring an LCO to his wife. You really have to have it running almost continually to do a decent job. And if you have areas that are 'cut-off', like curb strips, you have to pick it up and move it to those areas.