1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Robot Mowers??? Da future or garbage

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tonyday, Jun 27, 2006.

1. tonyday

tonyday LawnSite Member

Has anyone seen these things for commerical properties???? What do youse guys think of them. They are made by SGS, Self-Guided-Systems. It is gas powered, runs for 12 hours unlike most of us with coffee breaks, lunch, etc. It mows the grass while u go trim, cut trees, sweep sidewalks, what ever else needs to be done. Mows one whole acre per hour. It is a hybrid so needs less gas. Has a 38" deck. Sensors all over, car alarm, everything u know. Now i want to here what youse guys think. In my opinion it takes the fun out of mowing your lawn.

2. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I think its crap. I like to run the equipment myself not with a little computer. It also looks like a POS.
  3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I saw one at GIE expo in orlando Last year, as it was running amok throuhg the outdoor Lesco Display:laugh: :laugh: whiel it was ignoring the gps codes.

Needless to say I think lesco told GIE to shut em down as it was a huge safety thing.

I think on big wide open properties you might be bale to get away with it. but GPS with about a 3' margin for error that coul dbe a lot of annuals getting mowed over, a lexus, small child,....I tihk they have a long way to go

Now if that had a mower that you had to run it once on a set property adn the next time you are there it was abel to learn from your previous run I think is much more realistice when coupled with GPS maybe???

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I believe the technology to keep that thing safe and the up keep to it will price it out of work before it gets going. To limited of a use area. Just my thoughts
  5. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know a whole lot about them but it looks to me like the deck design is probably the least of their concerns- where in our lives, it's one of the most important. I don't think the anti-scalp wheels are going to save a whole lot of dirt from messing w/ the blades with their given ground clearance. JMO

Check these out: http://www.mcmurtryltd.co.uk/index.html
  6. tonyday

tonyday LawnSite Member

honestly i hate dealing with stupid people that work for me. i would welcome it in most applications were dumb workers axe too many questions. But i like to mow but not trim and clean up my mess. they should come out with a robot trimmer not this crap.;)
  7. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

looks like junk to me. what if it went haywire, or something? with a 3' margin for error, you could be plowing through someone's new car, or kid or just about any number of other expensive things including that expensive new glass door they just installed.
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

They are the future. We will also have gree grass that you dont cut. Think about it.
  9. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

a pond job customer of mine had a little 18" one that ran off an electric wire, like a dog fence. he was so proud of it and showed me how it worked. I watched it slide down the hill into one of his garden beds, chew up the wire, and a plant then turn off. I returned to check on the pond 3 weeks later and the grass was unmowed and he was assembling a riding tractor in his driveway. Guess the technology just quite isn't there yet.
  10. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

This is the future, no question. Five years, perhaps ten years, it will come. Did you all check the progress they made for example at the DARPA Grand Challenge?

We often tent to make fun about new technology, just they way our forefathers did when the diesel locomotive replaced the steam engine, or the steam engine replaced the horse.

Sure, they all had startup issues, as there is no way to have perfect technology in the first revision.

We came a long way, and we will go further, quicker.