robot mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by odin, Nov 23, 2001.

1. IF these things ever catch on you think we might have to start selling the idea of bagging ?These only mulch ive been told and they cant pickup leaves .just would like to get everyones thoughts
    Freinds of mine say they will never catch on big but the same thing was said in the early 1900 about the auto would never replace the horse .after all technolgy only gets better
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I am not worried.
  3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

imagine you went to a prop and took out your mower. you cut a boundary, then make your lines at one constant speed, running over any debris and no slowing for growth, etc. then stop. do that for a month. how would the prop look?

we have other things that will put us out before that.
  4. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

I want one! You could set up a web cam and "supervise" the mowing from the office. Maybe it could get email and you could email commands and monitor it's settings and such?:cool:
  5. Only thing worries me is that techlogy is in the works that is a lot better than whats out there now.WHATS out there now doent worry me in the least its this artifical inteligence that worries me .
    I saw it in the auto industry .When i went to work for gm in 1966 our plant had 7000 people when i went out there was only 2400.
    Isaw the first robotics in the late 60ies they were not that good in the short term ,but when i got out of gm these things were absolutely incrediable ,they could even stacks the parts from behind the line.Ive been out since 1996 the the newer ones are even better .Like i said people said the auto would never replace the horse.
  6. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

yah, but how many years before its implementable? and at what cost? will i be dead?
  7. PARTNER it may not be as long as you think.BUT anyway i hope i am wrong .When youre young 30 years seems like a long time but it catchs up before you know .I hope you are right on this one
    Its the guys in their 20 and 30ies who would be more effected than me ,im a old dude so if it came down it i have a gm pension.
    take care bubble boy it nice to exchange ideas with you.
  8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw one of these things at the GIE show in Tampa at the Husqvarna booth doing it's thing. I'm not worried, but if I ever do see one of these on someones lawn, I'm gonna jump out'a the truck, run over and flip it on its back like a turtle, and let it die in the sun, LOL.
  9. Mowerman amen on that!!!! In the whole southeast suburbs of chicago i have not seen one yet and i hope i dont
    take care partner
  10. casey

casey Guest

Robot mowers are the future. These are prototypes that will improve with each passing year, just as all technology does. We will be forced to adjust our services & adapt to a new reality as these machines make there way across the lawns of North America.