Robotic Mowers!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by firstclasslawncareandplow, Jul 15, 2005.

1. firstclasslawncareandplow

firstclasslawncareandplow LawnSite Member

This is not joke, it is finally here! These are the first fully robotic lawnmowers that should be avalable to public in about 2 - 3 years. A friend of mine is on the design team and is running a couple prototypes right now. Check these things out they are sweet!!
    www.selfguidedsystems.com

2. betterlawn

betterlawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

Allow me to be the first one to say...

Sensors fail, some kid loses a foot and it will cease to exist as a product. The idea of leaving it running unattended (which is the whole point) is just bizarre.

I can't think of anything to compare it with except maybe the robotic carts that zip around factories (where there are strict safety rules about where you can walk, etc.).

The roomba, while gimmicky, apparently works. Of course, it won't cut off your foot either. :rolleyes:

Good luck to your friend. Its not that it won't work - its just that the liabilities and practical obstacles seem pretty hard to surmount.

It looks REALLY cool in theory - I guess the market will decide...

Its easier to pay someone $8 an hour.

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Another great idea. I think it ranks up there with the Ejection seat in the helicopters or the solar powered flash lights. First off it wont perform a complete service. You still need to trim and such and here thats the biggest thing people dont wanna do. What happens when the guidance system fails and it runs over Mrs. Smiths new flowers or mows down a kid or dog? too many things can go wrong with it. I dont feel its a threat to my business. I wouldnt mind having a radio controlled mower for some steep slopes tho with a fail safe in case it gets out of range.

4. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I think that it is not a bad idea and would work great in some circumstances.

Did you read the part that you pay them $8.50 per hour to operate the thing? Kind of like paying per minute on your cell phone. And that is after all of the maintenance and the initial cost of 4K.

I am thinking that is a little steep.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with you, let someone else test this. Although I dream about this frequently, I would never give a mower unmanned access to a yard, like you said: What if the pooch runs out in front of the mower, or what if a mole dug a nice hole in the yard a few days ago? Shee...No, not such a big hole that the mower gets stuck, that would be too easy, a hole just large enough to give the mower a new angle so without further ado the machine will likely be cutting all kinds of new patterns, lol.
    That and more than a few of my yards have slopes so steep and areas so rough, ain't no automated system in the world can handle that. Really, the robomower would be dandy in a flat, square yard that's been landscaped to be smooth as a highway and still the risk of unmanned access is too much.

No, what I miss the most is the girls in the picture commercials, somehow they never showed up / I never got them from the dealer after I purchased my wb, something went way wrong there.

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

7. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

but I'd be happy to field test one for them :D

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Did anyone watch the investor video?

Kinda cheesy.

The mower operates to slow to really save labor, you have to program it the first cut. I could see someone getting it started, and then doing the trimming while it does the cutting, but its just too slow.

Still pretty nifty.

9. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

I suppose you could have a remote kill button on your side and do trimming/edging and blowing while it's running around. But it would be hard to do a good job while I'm keeping one eye on the mower.

10. RKISTNER1

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

They have been around 4 2-3 yrs,big ripoff,only good 4 postage stamp lawns,don't even think about cutting 4"+ and hell no stripe kit avail.? Oh yea only loyds of london will insure them.