Robotic Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sandgropher, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Well i am giving up my fleet of goats and sheep and will be keeping up with the times.

I have brought a large fleet of Robotic mowers that are capable of mowing up to 5 acres at a time, i can just drop them off and set them up and then go home for a cuppa tea and a good lie down, at the end of the day i can collect them.:)

Anyway cant stop my mowers are mowing 20 lawns and i am going fishing :drinkup: http://www.bamabots.com

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

The sheep would be a better option. The take care of the grass (yes they bag it), aerate, and fertilize all at once. Man is yet to come up with a machine that can do all three at once.

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

we giggle and laugh, but at the expo in Louisville 2 years ago, there was a 18horse 34" cut honda robotic mower I was very impressed with ( a 44" was available). It could hold a memory of 100 lawns, and basically worked. he had been testing it on 45 lawns in lis town, and it looked ready for production.

basically he would run the mower on the perimeter, and then tell it to fill in the middle. then move it to next area, run perimeter, and so forth. once it has mowed a lawn, it remembers every tree, fence, gate, etc. if it meets a new obstacle, it goes around it and reprograms to check that spot next week. it can be programmed to go over 2 times if the grass is high or thick.

He would run a fleet of 3, each one has the program for all lawns. he drops off the mower, weedeats and edges, goes to the next property while it mows, drops off another, weedeats edges, goes to another, etc, and then goes back to blow and pick up 1st one and so on.

he had another guy that would just drop them off, ran 6 of them, and then another guy would come behind and weedeat, edge, blow in a pickup. the other guy just doubled back and loaded and dropped off.

he said they did slopes pretty good since you don't have the weight of the rider to worry about. also smaller engines are possible because you don't carry a 200lb rider. he was working on a 60" with a 21 horse kubota.

the day will come when these things will be reality. they run about $22000 apiece.

at some point they will be quick enough to just sent one guy with them and he just unloads and puts in the lawn number. he weedeats, trims and blows, and then loads it back up and on to the next one. saves you about 12,18k per year on seasonal labor for each mower operating. once you run it for a year, it's worth it.

4. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Yes we are having a bit of a giggle but its the way of the future, all high end customers will have they own robotic mower and will give LCO's there marching orders. on edit> Husquarvana and others make them .