Robust Economy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Oct 10, 2000.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

For those who have been in this business for a while....how is this business when the economy isnt so good?

2. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

last year I would have gone bankrupt if I had gone full time. I would have to go back to the factory.
    This year has been exceptional; God has been good to us green guys, esp. this year. When the economy is good, people get off their $$ a little easier. I'm still trying to find work that is less dependant on Mother Nature & the economy.

3. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Hey i understand that, buisness has been great but I think I might go back to work full time, for more security, and hire a few guys to mow for me....It is crazy the number of calls i get in a week asking if i need help, right now its me and one helper, but i think he would make a good leader....and let him be kinda the leader of this end.

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I have been doing this for quite a while and it sucked when the economy sucked. People were a lot tighter with their dollar. Now there are alot of middle class people that will pay a premium for premium service. In the 80's at least in this area the 'well off' (at least around here) were your primary targets and even they demand a better price (in fact, they are worse). And if you need work, I don't care what you say, you will work for less.

If you think it is a cut throat business now, imagine when people are out of work. Even more get the idea of loading up the mower to make a few bucks. I guess this is why the commercial market is the way to go. But even then, there will be less commercial accounts and every big residential business will be after that work.

I guess it all depends on how bad the economy is.

5. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

I remember the day when only the "rich" got their grass cut.
    Those were the days that you got nervous when you saw a "new" lawn service in a neighborhood you were working in.

6. machine

machine LawnSite Member
    from OH

Although the Labor is extremely tight and oil is at a all-time high. We in the Service Sector are Resistant to any Recession.

7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

The way I see it is the people who are making the big bucks (lawyers, doctors, dentists) aren't going to make any less if we go into a recession. And the engineers, accountants and such aren't going to have a pay cut either. I'm not too worried. Although if they get laid off then that's a whole different ballgame. Still, I'm not too concerned.

8. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

The last time that I worked for someone else was 1981. Since then it has been "get out of bed, go to work, or starve". The economy wasn't so great in the early 80's compared to recent times, but we done fine. I am a firm believer in a positive attitude and making a commitment to either make your business work, or get out of it. If anyone is worried about tough times, slow economy, etc. they will bail at the first sight of inflation, ecomony slowdown,etc. More work for those of us that have been here and will be here. As far as your customer's go, take care of them and they have no reason to switch to another service, you should be able to sell your service over their price. As someone in a post above said,"the Doctors, Lawyers, Business people, etc who are good customers are still going to have the work done.

Think Positive,
    What the mind of man can concieve and believe, it can achieve.

Happy Days are here again.

Greg Pierce, CTP

9. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Democrat or Republican, recession or not.Carter,Reagan,Bush or Klin(ton).
    In Yakima Wa nothing changes . Good economy or not. Low wages since the begining. Low to the end.We are an island of little change.

10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think the economy would hurt me. My customers are either too old to do it, rich and ain't gonna do it, or retired and having fun before they get too old and can't do it. I have very few young customers capable of doing the work, besides, if you have a "service" then you somebody!

Homer