Rock Bed

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by brentsawyer, Oct 21, 2004.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I have an estimate to put together for a guy who lives down the street from me who wants to do three seperate retaining walls in his backyard that is heavily filled with trees and has heavy clay. The longest wall will be about 70' long and will only be about 1' in height winding in and out of various trees. The reason for the walls is 1. Erosion control and 2. Looks. Directly infront of the wall he wants to do a 'dry creek' I say dry since the walls will collect all the water and direct all water to a seperate area. The dry creek is to go along the 70' long wall and be approx4' wide with a swell built in and it is to be filled with #2 limestone approx 3-6" in size. My only question is should I lay mat down first to keep the limestone from sinking in the heavy clay and to prevent it from getting dirty, prevent weeds, etc. or is it unnecessary and insufficient to hold up to the size and weight of the large lime.

2. GardenofWeeden

GardenofWeeden LawnSite Member

Let me tell you from a previous mistake. I am doing a large residential design and I mistakenly miscalculated the soil. Which was clay...which turned to 'muck' A.K.A "Pudding" when it gets wet. It wasn't as obvious because it hadn't rained so I thought there would be no problems. Sooooooo from my mistake, I used a fabric that is similar to weed block but a little bit thicker to provide a uniform stable setting for the stone. A few others suggested it on a post I put up earlier and it worked. Put the mat down prior to dumping any stone. Trust me on this one.

3. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

I always put fabric under any rock or stone. Its the only place I use it.

Bryan