Rock Depth

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dtelawn, Nov 22, 2009.

1. dtelawn

dtelawn LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Two part question. How deep should I expect to make River Pebbles(2-4 inch) in beds. Should I use fabric under them. No additional flowers or bushes will be put in after this initial planting. I guess I am asking more of an opinion from others.

2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

The bigger the stone, the deeper the minimum depth. If you have big stones (don't go there) there will be big gaps between them when you lay them 1 stone deep . That means that you'll need at least a second layer of stones to cover the gaps. If you have 3/8" inch stone you can fully cover in less than an inch. That won't happen with 2-4" stone. You'll probably need at least 4".

I remember this from working for a guy who priced covering a McDonald's landscape with river rock. He estimated the materials at 1". It took three inches so that the black weed cloth did not show up and look rediculous. ... not a lot of profit on that job. ... not to mention that it was a real pain in the neck to spread big stone on cloth. The loader wheels turning and the weed cloth were not a good combo. ... neither were shovels, wheel barrows, and rakes. That job totally sucked.

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I always use weed block with river gravel. I never do with mulch, but always gravel. I'd say 4" is about good for #3 gravel. You don't want to have it too thin.

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

3/8" pea rock 2" will cover.
    2" river will need 3 or 4 to cover well. And yes use a good barrier if you are laying down rock. For mulch nope...

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Only thing I might add is using a bigger rock rather than a pea-gravel type of mulch.

The reason being is that the smaller rock generally doesn't stay in place, ever. Especially when you use a leaf blower on it.

6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

He is using 2"-4" stone. The other sizes were references for describing why he needs to calculate for a deeper application and what happens if he does not.

7. White Gardens

He just made a reference to river "Pebbles" and I think that's what stuck out in my mind.

8. dtelawn

dtelawn LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Thanks for the info. The customer requested the larger 2-4 inch stones. I am excited about the size of the job, but I know how much of a pain it will be to get all the rock put in and spread. There is is a few places where equipment will not fit into. Well thanks again for the input.

9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I hate to split hairs and point out things, rocks really do not constitute mulch. Mulch generally will amend soil quality. Just saying. :)

10. White Gardens

Yes and no. Some people consider rock as a mulch generically. I've heard it referred to as mulch by other professionals in discussion before.

I agree, rock isn't mulch. The only similar characteristic to wood mulch is that it will help stabilize the moisture in the soil and that's about it. I only refer to it as mulch in discussion generically.

All semantics I guess, or, splitting hairs. :laugh: