Rock/Flower garden

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Birdhunter1, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

First off guys I'm not a professional landscaper nor am I going to start in the business of it, mopwing keeps me too busy as it is (getting out of it soon) but I am helping my mother in law with a project. What she's got is about 450 sq ft. she wants to put creek rock in, and have a few plants and grasses in. She is a gardening whiz and she knows what she wants and how she wants it too look and basically all I am doing is helping her with the manual labor.

With 450 sq. ft. I figured it would take 1 3/8 cubic yards of rock for every 1 inch thickness. She doesn't know exactly how thick she wants it, I kinda thought 3" is too thick and am probably thinking about 2" thickness is ideal. Yes there will be fabric laid underneath it.

Next question, she has some larger creek stones (smallest is approx 2 sq ft up to 4 sq ft) 3-4" thick that she wants in there as stepping stones. Would it be better and easier to lay a sand base under where these are going or just let them rest on the dirt and place the rock around them. I'm thinking sand woudl be the way to go under them so that it is easier to level them and less likely to settle and be unlevel in a year or so.
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well first off I suggest you dig out the creek, using the excavated soil to build up and slightly slope the sides of the creekbed. Curve it like natural water would flow , nice flowing curves.
    You will need at least 3" of rock to cover properly and need to use several different sizes of rock as well. We call it 1&1/2+ Round, then some
    2&1/2 to 3&1/2+ and then there is the larger Noiya river rock as well.
    I place my large river rocks in first spreading them along the sides and in the middle here and there, then the next size down, then the smallest last.
    Yes best to place sand under the stepping stones but unless you retain it with something it will wash out. Be sure to put plenty of rock around the sand and have the stepping stones on and level base before you add the sand. Good luck.
  3. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice Sheshovel but I think you missed something very important. It is creek rock I am using in a flower garden at her house, miles from any creek and on high ground not near any creek, washing out will not be a problem and there won't be any nice flowing curves.