1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Rock Hound

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by wanabe, Sep 25, 2008.

1. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

I have a bunch of 1 1/2 inch rock that I need to pick up. Do they work? Truck driver had a screw up today and tailgated about 15 ton of rock down my field road, and now I need it gone. How do I do it. Rock was spread very thin, 15 tons over about 1/4 mile road. The road is a dirt road, covered with grass, and is hard packed. Never used one before, and don't know if it will work. What do they rent for a day?Thanks!

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

A rock rake will work, a Harley rake works good to, but it needs to be picked up after with a bucket. I've used the Bobcat rake version, and it handled rocks up to 3".

3. bobcatuser

bobcatuser LawnSite Senior Member

The rock rake might take some time to pick up all the rock, especially if the road has tire ruts. It won't pick up from the low spots.

4. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Dad used to use a Rockhound and it worked really well... so I would assume it would work for you... And your local equipment dealership can tell you that.. price varies everywhere..

5. wanabe

from So. IL

Thanks ron but how do they work on hard ground. Pretty much rock on top of concrete ground. How small of rock will they pick? Are they slow or fast?

6. wanabe

from So. IL

The road is flat, but is all grass. Will it work? Anything to running them?

7. bobcatuser

bobcatuser LawnSite Senior Member

If it's flat no problem. Just engage the float setting on the loader and back up slow. The rake will pick up most rocks down to 1/2".

8. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

It picks up rocks as small as 3/4", that's about it, if it's hard packed dirt, I would loosen it up with my 7 shank scarifier, and they are slower than a Harley Rake.

9. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to back up all the time in order for it to work and it will probably tear out most of your grass. The advantage over a harley rake is that it collects all the rock as you're going along.

10. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

If it's free why not just leave it if it's on a roadway? It'll help hold you together in the wet weather......is there something I'm not seeing??