Rock in the Eye!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by River Hill, Apr 19, 2001.

1. River Hill

River Hill LawnSite Member

For those of you who don't wear safety glasses I would highly recommend them. I have never wore glasses of any type and I hated wearing them while cutting or trimming. I always thought I could close my eyes quick enough if something flew up at my eye. I have been hit in the face with rocks many times while trimming, but a rock finally it me in the eye. My sight if fine, but it was a close call. I have a big red mark in my eye now. So wear your glasses even if they are a pain. Yesterday was my first day wearing glasses and I noticed my ear muffs don't fit as well and I get alot of sound in. Are most of you guys wearing plugs? I want to protect my eyes but don't want to lose my hearing either. Be safe and remember your eyes can't shut as fast as you think they can.

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I have been hit so hard in the face by objects while weedeating it knocked the saftey glasses off. So defetinitly wear them and hearing protection. You can also have stuff bounce off walls and trees while mowing and it can sometimes come back and hit you in the eye or face. You can go under trees and be hit in the eye by a limb. So it good to wear the glasses at all times

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I wear glasses all the time any way. I always buy the most impact resistant polycarbonate lenses available along with UV filtering. it is safe to say that with out my glasses, over the years, I have had enough impacts to them that without them I would probably be blind.

hearing protection? yes. but not for the first three years. now I have hearing loss. is it as a result of the lawn care? IDUNNO. but I know the blowers and mowers haven't helped.

GEO

4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

this happened last year, one of my guys was cutting and he had safty glasses on. he hit a rock shot it off a tree and it came back and hit him right in the glasses. if he wasn't wearing them he would of lost his eye, but he only had a scatch because he did have them on.

5. kutnkev

kutnkev LawnSite Member

brians,
    i had the same problem untill i used shooters ear protection the fit over my glasses and do not leak any sound
    you can find a cheap pair at wal-mart/ k-mart

6. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I wear the plugs that fit on like a girl's hair band. I've been hit so many times, that I have learn my lesson. I've had a rock go up my nose and come out of my mouth (twice). I am considering wearing nose plugs. (what a shot)

7. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

I try to wear eye protection all the time. I have tried the glasses and shields. They seem to be too hot to wear, and fog up. Has anyone tried using a debris shield like for using with chainsaws? Seems like the mesh would be fine enough to keep rocks, ect. out, and let plenty of air in. Plus they have them with hearing protection built in....Might try one.

8. Skippy

Skippy LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Definately a good topic. I was at a welding supply store the other day picking up some new glasses and saw some that plug your ears and protect your eyes all at once. Instead of going over your ears they have plugs that go in them, looked neat but didn't buy them. You ,ight want to look into them though.

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I was a non wearer of glasses until I got hit in the eye. It must have knocked some sense into me cause, I sure learned from it.

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I wear a shield most of the time,it does fog up on occasion though.I have worn glasses,but I like the shield better.i learned the hard way too-got hit in the eye a few years back-I have worn them since.