Rock Install instead of mulch question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Petr51488, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I have a customer whom i've put down rocks for, instead of mulch (very small area) She wants a fresh layer of rocks because the old ones are faded. The last time i did the rocks there was about 3 years ago. Is there any way to keep them looking fresh without adding a layer? Unfortunately they don't decompose like mulch does. I'll be adding a fresh layer of rocks tomorrow. Any idea's?

2. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Rocks -- the worst idea for landscape "design" anybody has ever come up with! IMO

3. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

I think rocks look pretty good. I saw some really nice rock beds today actually. The best looking ones had a fist sized pieces of crushed black granite. Very nice looking rock bed.

If your using smooth rocks, I would suggest using concrete sealer on them. A semi-gloss would be ok, but a high-gloss would help the colors in the rocks come out. I used to work for a concrete company, and when we did "washed" or "exposed rock" patios with colored rocks the sealer would really make the rock colors stand out. You just spray the sealer on with a pump sprayer.

4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

OK... you don't like rocks. What would you do with the north side of a garage, strip about 4' wide, no sun, lots of weeds? I'm thinkin rocks here....

5. naturescape

If you can't grow a ground cover there, then fill the area in with shredded mulch or bark -- at least it's a more natural look. Also, rocks tend to get strewn about a property, especially if you have to blow out beds; and then they become WONDERFUL projectiles to throw with the mower and break a window.

6. Petr51488

from NJ

Ok, let me clarify this. This lady has a condo. 1 strip of shrubs in the front (4x12) and in the back there is a shed with the rocks around it which is about 20x40. Mulch wouldn't look to good. These are the only people i've ever done rocks for. Everyone else has mulch.

7. naturescape

OK, you're vindicated. LOL

But you say "mulch wouldn't look to [sic] good." Why not?

8. Petr51488

from NJ

Not that it wouldn't look good. It just doesn't fit the condo. very small area.

9. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

LOL amazing. Rocks are the worst idea for landscape design? Mulch is so great it fades in weeks,stinks,molds,draws bugs,weeds grow in it. But rock is the worst?:dizzy:

RCGM
    Brad

10. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Try river pebbles the hold color great I have had mine in my yard for over 5 years and they still look great.Haydite rock holds its color to.

RCGM
    Brad