Rock installation labor question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by eruuska, Apr 22, 2005.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

What's a good estimate on the amount of time to install rock. Putting in a bid to "touch up" about 850 square feet of pond rock that's been neglected for several years. I'm thinking about 4 tons of fresh rock, which the rock guy says should cover 400 square feet, 2" deep.

Am I correct that this should easily freshen up about 850 square feet? What sort of time should I factor in whan putting the bid in?

2. eruuska

kick kick kick

3. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you will be pretty good with 4 tons of rock. The time will depend on multiple factors. Are you moving the rock by machine or wheelbarrow? How many guys on the job? How hard can you work? I can move a ton an hour by myself by wheelbarrow 50 feet, but I'm 38 years old and I don't like to kill myself.

4. eruuska

I did a search and read what others charge for rock, and I think my quote will reflect a price of $120 per ton installed. My cost is $38 per ton, plus a flat $45 for delivery. I'm 40 and don't like to kill myself either. I may be doing it myself, but if my schedule is tight I'll have a couple of helpers. There are some other things this customer wants done, so I think 3 guys could knock this one out in a few hours. Especially if 2 of them are 16 and don't mind killing themselves!