rock removal price

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by d&rlawncare, Oct 17, 2007.

1. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

6 apartments buildings with 2-3 foot "border" of 1-1 1/2" rock (yes it varies).
    Total of 35 yards of rock to be removed.

This rock goes all the way down to the drian tile but they only want 3-4 " of it removed and replaced with 3-4" mulch. The metal edging is already in place so this will have to hand shoveled and wheeled out to the parking lot (100' from parking lot to back of each building.

I have a company that will charge me $145 an hour to bring a bobcat out and dump to load this up and bring to resell at their yard. 3-4 trips for them so I am guessing 4 hours. 20 mile roundtrip for them.

I am guessing 3 hours per building including installing the mulch. Am I way off?

$45 per man hour x 18 man hours x 5 workers = $4050.00
    Trucking company $175 x 4 hours = $700.00
    Mulch 35 yds x $75.00 = @2625.00

Total = $7375.00

Am I way off on my price? Did I miss anything? My bid is due Friday. I will be paying 5 workers $15.00 per hour. So thats $1350.00 for 18 hours. Mulch will cost me $930 delivered. 2 more wheelbarrows and 4 good shovels about $200.00 leaves me $4895.00.

Thanks in advance for your help and comments! I figure I am high but if I do the job I want it to be worth my time. They are budgeting for next year.
  2. d&rlawncare

bump to top
  3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

You are removing 35 yards of rock in 18 hours?
  4. d&rlawncare

about 5 1/2 yards per building. each building will have its own pile in front to be picked up by loader and trucked away.

With 5 people you think 18 hours is low? 2-3 hours per building? These are honest questions I am not questioning your exp.
  5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

The bobcat will not be able too get every last rock.
    Do you have time figured in on having the areas cleaned after the piles are removed?

Other than that it looks good to me.
  6. d&rlawncare

I have an extra hour figured in for the bobcat. I will be subbing that part out.

7. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

see if you can rent on of those rock vacs