1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rock removal

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Barkleymut, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Are there any attachments for a bobcat or other tractor that can remove thousands of pebbles from about a 10,000 sq ft area? The ground is kind of hard and is primarily bare dirt. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

How big are the rocks?
  3. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

For pebble size - how about a backhoe attachment and a screen?
  4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Paul, they are mostly small (maybe under 2 inches in diameter and the largest ones are smaller than a closed fist.

MJ- wouldn't it take forever to use a backhoe on 10K sq ft? Is there any type of rake attachment that would push them all to one area? Then I could just shovel them into a wheelbarrow and throw them in the woods.
  5. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen what I believe was referred to as a "dozer blade" with 3 point hitch set up for tractors that can be rented. Its maybe a 6"-8" tall blade for grading. Not sure if they have similar attachments for skid steers. You could use this to drag it all into a pile at one end, then use the regular bucket to load for dumping.
  6. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

Bobcat has a landscape rake that will remove rocks and debris down to 3/4" dia. and load them right in to the bucket for removal.
  7. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

I'm gonna beat paul to the punch on this one. FFC makes an attachment called a preparator. The rotor pushes the rocks into a bucket with holes in it and anything over 1" stays in it. Takes some time to get the knack of it. Also leaves a nice level seed bed and you just empty the bucket full of debris into your truck. Bobcat has a little fancier version of the same thing. Another option is a Harley rake which pushes rocks into a windrow while it prepares your ground. You then have to pick up your windrows. Bobcat also has a version of this tool and its actually cheaper than a Harley.
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Landpride power rake on a 3 point att. Will windrow rocks and prepare beds