Rock slides, how to replace with walkway?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cochino12, Apr 9, 2006.

1. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks to anyone who can help answer my dumb questions. I have two customers that have fairly steep hills on the side of their home which are covered in 2" rock now.

Problem is when they walk on the rock it all slides down hill. They do now want retaining walls but are more interested in a gravel/dirt type walkway (dont want to spend $$ on pavers, stone either. Anybody do these? Doesnt seem like there could be too much to it though. Can anyone tell me whats involved? preperation etc... thanks

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Need pics ..could you take some?.Much better to advise you if we can see the situation

3. cochino12

I'll be getting some pics tomorrow. Thanks

4. cochino12

I realize this picture kind of sucks, I forgot my camera at home and had to use my phone.

walkway.JPG

5. sheshovel

A slate base might help..it packs down solid.Stuff they use under roads..you can buy it at most rock supply places.If I remember..I will take a pic of the stuff for you tommorow.

6. cochino12

that would be awesome, thanks.

7. sheshovel

Not a problem..won't be on here tell the late afternoon though..have boulders coming in tommorrow.

8. sheshovel

K..they call this "Slate Base" I don't know if it is available where you are but it packs down good on a hill and this is what it looks like

IMG_0851.JPG

9. sheshovel

IMG_0852.JPG

10. sheshovel

and heres one more

IMG_0850.JPG