RockHound question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by avguy, May 18, 2010.

1. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm getting ready to do a total renovation on 90,000 sqft of my property. The area is mostly flat but very bumpy. My question is do I need to either till or disc the area before hitting it with the rockhound or will the rockhound be enough by itself? Thanks! Scott

2. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Pictures would help. It sounds like you should loosten the surface soil then york rake it to decent grade, then run the rockhound?

3. avguy

Here's a couple of pics from last year. I had originally planned to till the area but wondered if that was even necessary using a rockhound? The guy who has the rockhound didn't seem sure that it would scarify the ground well enough to remove the dead grass leaving a good dirt seed bed. Not sure if that makes sense. Scott

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=279977&page=5&highlight=what+are+my+odds

4. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL

This was posted in a lawn forum:
    Here'es the proper steps to planting a Bermuda lawn.
    1) Kill everything with Roundup.
    2) Till or disc the entire area.
    3) Apply fertilizer while the soil is rough.
    4) Drag the soil smooth with a box blade or some kind of smoothing device. (I use a home made drag constructed out of heavy channel iron)
    5) Drag again with a piece of chain link fence.
    6)Apply seed with a broadcast spreader set at a low rate and crisscross over and over for even dispersal.
    7) Drag fence over the area. This buries the Bermuda seed to the recommended depth of 1/4th inch or less.
    8) Water if there isn't enough rain and watch it grow.
    9) It is warm enough now.
    10) I just did 3 acres this way and I'm not far from Dallas.
    11) The tilling and dragging creates a fairway smooth lawn.

5. avguy

Wrager...thanks for the reply. I actually renovated a 14,000 sqft area in the front last year doing almost exactly that. If you read the thread from the beginning you can see what I did with the help of a few great people here.

I apologize that maybe I'm not explaining this right. What I want to know is if you just kill off the existing grass/weeds will a rockhound bury/remove the dead turf leaving a level dirt seed bed?

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

A harley rake and a rock hound is a good team.

7. GWhunter

GWhunter LawnSite Senior Member

A harley rake is alot better at the soil prep. The rockhound is the best tool to pick up the larger rocks an debris. The harley will do a better with fines. Then you'll be able to topdress the topsoil with the harley. So to sumarize harley rake is more of a fine tool and the rockhound is more course. But the two together are unstoppable.

Matt