rockhound vs. harley rake

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Field General, May 3, 2004.

1. Field General

Field General LawnSite Member

If you could only own one piece of equipment for use in turning a rough grade, into a proper seed bed for a new lawn, what would you choose. I have used a rock hound, a soil perpetrator(which was a hound with a rotating brush to smooth the soil as a last step), and a 60" tiller. Each had their own advantages. I would like to hear your opinions....remember you can only own one to use on every grade.

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Why limit yourself?

If I had to choose just one to buy initially, it would be a pulverizer for the 3 point.

The next purchase would then be either a box blade or a landscape rake with a blade attachment.

Dan

3. lx665

lx665 LawnSite Member

I use the Harley Rake. It's fast and does an excellent job.

John

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Harley rake hands down.

5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I have used most known powered implements while building golf courses and high end residential homes - without a doubt, I would choose a harley power box rake.

6. ltlbull

ltlbull LawnSite Member

The only problem I see is that Harley box rake is going to cost $6K, the pulverizer is $1K, the tiller is $2.5K and the standard rake is $750.00.

No doubt the Harley is awesome, but you better have plenty of jobs to pay that puppy off.

My .02............

7. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i just rented a harley rake today for our skidsteer and all i can say is WOW.. the thing is awesome for prep work....

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I like the Preparator by FFC. Much heavier duty than rock hound and can pick up rocks rather than windrow them like a Harley.

9. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

10. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

Comb. of the rockhound and the harley works well. Cant beat the final product of a Harley.