Rockhound???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greenkeepers, Mar 15, 2001.

1. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Hey Guys & Gals-

I got a call today for rockhounding a property approx .4 acre.... I just got the bobcat and I'm going to have to rent the rockhound approx $125 day. I was thinking of charging between $335 + tax for it. Thats $60 per (3 hr min) hour plus 125 for the rental and $30 for travel. what do you thin.

Help is appreciated....

2. igm

igm LawnSite Member

Everyone around here just get a flat $45 - $50/hr with a 4 hour minimum, but I'm not sure if that includes rockhounding or just for moving dirt. Many of the operators around here own their own 'hound and just bill their machine time straight I think. I have heard of a few people charging $60/hr.

Sam

3. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Thanks Sam-

Thats what I'm afraid of, Since I don't own it I think that I'll get killed on estimates because I have to charge more because I rent it. So is it worth it to cut my cost of running the machine to be competitive? I've been looking to pick up a used one..

4. igm

igm LawnSite Member

I'm not normally a proponent of cutting costs, but in this case it may be worth it to try and secure some customers for your new machine. Then pick one up used or a new one for $5000 ?? after you see if you can build a niche that will pay for it. Just chalk the rental period up to start up cost for the soil prep side of the business. I'd try and shoot for $50/hour and just eat it on the rental. Sometimes renting works out good, but on some jobs the cost of renting equipment is much higher than the per hour cost if you own it. We're doing more and more tree jobs and my clean up cost is higher because I have to rent the chipper. Consequently I've got to cut back somewhere else to keep my clean-up cost down.

P.S. If you do decide to buy one, look around at the other comparable implements, i.e. Harley box rake, Preparator etc.
    While the rock hound cleans it up pretty well, it doesn't do much in the way of soil prep or preparing an actual seedbed. The others till it up to about 4 or 6" and rake it. You probably already knew this.

...Sam