1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rocks in the Lawn?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by BackAcreFarm, Mar 22, 2004.

1. BackAcreFarm

BackAcreFarm LawnSite Member

My driveway is about 1/4 mile long, made of crushed rock. After winter snowplowing I have a lot of rocks in the grass. Most are relatively small, less than 2 inches, but they are all along the driveway on both sides so there are too many to pick up by hand.

I have a 5 foot "landscape rake" on the back of a tractor, but it misses most.

Is there any good way to get them out of the grass before I start mowing?

2. BackAcreFarm

BackAcreFarm LawnSite Member

Should I take the resounding silence to mean that no one has a good idea about removing these rocks?:confused:
  3. deere mowers

deere mowers Banned

Good 'ol hand rake thats what I use or buy the estate rake . I hear that it works good. www.estateyardcare.com or net
  4. tawilson1152

tawilson1152 LawnSite Member

I haven't got one yet, but I heard around here somewhere that the Stihl powersweeper does a good job on them.
  5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I would really like to see someone use the Power Sweep. I've never seen one before, but the info says that it is used for "small pebbles" in the lawn. That however, tends to make me think that it might have a tough time on rocks larger than a marble.

At any rate, this is the website for the Power Sweep.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I have the power sweep and it will remove all stones from the size of a pea to ones the size of your fist.