1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

rocks in topsoil

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JLong, Mar 16, 2007.

1. JLong

JLong LawnSite Member

I just got offered many, many tons of composted horse manure (3 years old) there is only one problem, the stable where it came from and where it is at uses gravel, around 1/2inch in the stalls so there is a noticeable amount in the manure. My question is, does anyone know of an ecomical way to sift out the bulk of this gravel. I have a skidloader, dump truck, and could build a 4'x8' screen out of expanded metal. Please give me any advice, i hate to use it all as fill dirt becaue of some small gravel.
  2. JLong

JLong LawnSite Member

take to the top
  3. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

the only think about sifting it it would need to be dry and pulverized to work with your home made screener. If there wasnt alot i would just take it to a clients property and harley rake it
  4. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

If you are amending soil with the manure those rocks probably won't be noticeable especially if the soil is covered with mulch or grass. If it is that contaminated pass on it. You will spend more time and money trying to get rid of them than if you bought clean manure.
  5. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

I would not worry about it. Just leave them in it. If you start spending alot of time tyring to get rocks out of it then it will cost you more than its worth.