1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

RockVac works on rocks and more?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mike Nolting, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Mike Nolting

Mike Nolting LawnSite Member

I have never seen anything like this before. This is in response to a question I posted awhile back, looking for feedback on a machine that is used to vacuum up rocks. My curiosity got the best of me yesterday, so I went out and rented one. I took it to a job I had, new construction (less than two years old) with shrubs, sod, the works. The problem was that the dirt along the house had settled and the home owners were getting water in their basement. The bobcat would have been costly, we would have had to fix the sod, dig up and then replace the shrubs when we were done. Trying to shovel rock isn't much fun either, it would have taken us three or four times longer than it did. As it was, the Rockvac sat in the driveway as we sucked up the rocks so we could put some fill in the sink hole. By the way, there was fabric under the rocks.....
    Anyway, the machine actually worked. We were a little cumbersome with it at first, but soon got the hang of it. It seemed to not be moving the rock very fast, so one of the guys (Steve) had a little extra energy and kind of cocky and decided to race the rockvac. It was pretty funny, he hung in pretty close for the first one or two wheel barrow fulls. But enough was enough, he was sweating his --- off, while we were laughing. The machine isn't faster than the Bobcat, but if the Bobcat isn't an option, it's a no brainer. We plan on renting it again as we are looking forward to the next rock job. I can see where we can save money as well as time with this guy. Check it out www.rockvac.com

What are the draw backs to this machine? Will it work on dirt, sand, ..... I asked the rental store and they said it would work on anything you can get in the 4" or 5" hose. Does it matter how much hose I have on the machine? I had fifty feet of 4" hose on it yesterday. This forum is where I can find out the real truth about this machine.

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

2. Cheese burger

Cheese burger LawnSite Member

I have a job I've been putting off that this thing would be perfect for. Wish somebody around here rented one.
  3. Mike Nolting

Mike Nolting LawnSite Member

Cheese Burger......Hmmmm What a name.

You maybe could call there 1-800 # to see where you could rent one near you. I know that there web site didn't show one in Georgia, but it is possible that it just isn't updated very often. It could be well worth the 2 minutes to call the free number to find out!

I highly recommend it.