Rods sticking to work

Discussion in '<a href=' started by Mowin4cash, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

Hey guys. I'm new to welding. Just wondering why the rods stick to everything. Tried to weld some sheet metal together today (intake box on Trac-Vac) and all the sticks did was stick to the metal. When I used the higher setting on the welding machine, it did weld ok, but burned a lot of holes.

2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Im no welding pro but I think you are to close to the peice that you are trying to arc to and its magnetically pulling you to the metal. Try holding it bit farther away and moving just a tad bit faster.
  3. karl klein

karl klein LawnSite Member

it is sticking becuase you need more heat. if it burns threw at a higher heat then try dragging the rod across a scrap and the sparks will heat up the rod. also check your ground and rod thickness
  4. Bill c

Bill c LawnSite Member

Welding can be very difficult to learn for some guys.I remember when I first learned I stuck the rod several times but eventually mastered it and having had a rod stick in quite some time.I would grab some scrap and practice striking an arc and run small passes until you stop sticking the rod.Try different heat settings and even different rods eventually you will learn.Post some more info such as your machine,types of rod you have,and heat settings you been using Im sure somebody can point you in the right direction,good luck.