roll bars quick connect (dumb idea?)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, May 6, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I only have one account where the roll bar would come in really handy on the Turf Tiger. It has four large bolts on it and it takes a while to remove it or replace it. I had an idea, maybe a bad one, about some way to quickly install and uninstall it. Maybe with pins and carter keys. Any idea's, I know they are in my way 90% of the time. I may go to tractor supply and try to find a tractor type pin to quickly slide in the holes for any job that may be overly steep. Idea's

key.JPG

2. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

No not a bad idea at all. I have a lawn where i would definately like to put a roll bar on for about 10 min. Almost flipped the mower last year on it. But in most other cases the bar can be more hazard than safety. Getting it caught on a low lying tree limb or other obstacles. Not good.

3. tacoma200

I agree, ROP is a pain in the behind most of the time, and I've caught my share of limbs, clothes lines and one air conditioner. But every now and then I have a fairly steep area that I would like to run the ROP that day.

4. treemonkey

treemonkey LawnSite Member

I imagine you should check the strength of the pin to make sure it matches the bolts holding on the ROPS (Grade 5 or better, I imagine). Use of your quick attach ROPS won't matter if it snaps off as you are tumbling down the hill, belted in to your machine.

Also, don't you worry about liability? Especially if you allow someone else to operate the mower. OSHA and lawyers would have a field day if someone was injured as a result of a tampered ROPS. I wonder how you guys don't get into lawsuit trouble removing your discharge chutes also. Lawyers dictate everything we do now-a-days. Bless them.

Excellent idea, though.

5. tacoma200

I'm not dumb enough to let anyone else on it. I also am not going to get in a position to tumble down a hill. There is just one place on my route that there is very very slim chance and I mean very slim that it could possibly tip on its side. I really doubt it but it would be nice to have them on for piece of mind just in case something unexpected happened. I put the chances of rolling on my side about the same as winning a small lottery but it's just an idea. I fully intend to use my Turf Tiger myself with out the ROP most if not all the time. I'm very safety conscious and use a WB for the steep stuff. No worker on steep areas on a rider period. In fact I'm just being overly cautious putting if I used them on this one job. But I understand the concern. And I don't think a ZTR should be used in area's with a questionable concern about roll over. With all that said so far its been more dangerous with them on. I am much more concerned getting hurt hitting on overhead object that I didn't see, brim of the hat blocked etc. Of course this is an on going debate (ROP or not that I don't want to get started because few agree). And I repeat I never will knowingly put another person in harms way, period. I'm going to guess the number of persons around here using a discharge chute to be very low. But I will take a little common sense over OSHA any day. They will have use wearing helmets, shoulder pads and plastic mower blades given the chance. Let them take what I got, its not that much anyway.

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Lots of roll bars have a hinge on them to collapse them. Can't you make a hinge?

7. prosperity

prosperity LawnSite Member

I have a fixed ROPS on my small diesel tractor. Talked with a welder friend - showed him the folding ROPS on my Z - he said he could fabricate the fixed on to work like the folding one with no problem.